Saturday, August 1, 2015

Monarch Pass

  • Day:  72
  • Start:  1057
  • End:  1082
  • Miles:  25
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  39
  • People met:  too many to count


Sunrise 

I heard their morning songs just before my alarm went off, a family of coyotes happy to see one another after a night of hunting. The occasional lowing of the cattle punctuate the morning stillness as I descend the canyon. The rain yesterday and last night has made the trail muddy in places, combined with the damage from the cattle, it's a mess. I'm constantly jumping from the trail to the grass to avoid the mud and other stuff. As I aproach the bottom of the drainage I meet some other hikers, Spoonman is one of them. You may remember Spoonman and I hiked together in New Mexico and I haven't seen him since the Gila. We share some stories and a common delight at meeting each other again. Spoonman is an excellent hiker, he has good experience and has given a lot of thought into his gear. 


The trail changes from a meadow to an aspen forest intermixed with conifers 

I walk in a mixed forest for several hours that only allows brief glimpses of the mountains. 


Here's a look to the west

The trail is somewhat rocky and mostly a climb. Around 1100 hrs I break into a meadow a get my first view to the southeast. 


First meadow view

After crossing the meadow I finally get to descend. I meet a family of three taking a break, they have lots of questions about water. I decide to take a break with them so we can discuss the water in both directions. Nice people, they live in Kansas and are trying a section hike of the CT. 
The next section allows motorcycles as well as bikes. I must say I can agree that each of these activities is enjoyable and has a place for people to recreate, just not on the same trail.  Today is Saturday and I have come to find out by the multitude of mountain bikers coming at me this section is a great trail for their sport. So the afternoon is spent being cautious of these folks. I was just thinking that all the bikers where gone as I hadn't seen any in two days. 


Really turning out to be a nice day


But in a little while the clouds come rolling in. 


Out of the forest for a while. 


The dampness from these afternoon storms seems to be causing mushrooms to explode along the trail.  Here's one that is huge. 


Here comes the afternoon thunderstorms 

Thunder vibrates through the afternoon air, sending cautious looks to the direction the clouds are taking. I walk in a undecided rain for a little while until it has become more of a constant drizzle. On goes the rain gear. 


What a nice tread

The bikes are gone for the day and I happily make my last pull for the day to the mountain. This wonderful trail levels after making the top and winds around several peaks. 




To the east


This is just a great way to end the day


The trail hits the timberline as I descend toward Monarch Pass. 


Monarch Pass

I retrieve my resupply box from the Monarch store, then rest a while. I've made good time on the trail from Lake City, one hundred miles in 4 days.  I decide to make my way to town for regrouping, one of my sandals broke crossing the Cochetope Creek. That's a good enough reason I say. So back when I was in New Mexico I met a trail angel hiking with his dog between Ghost Ranch and Cuba. He said his name was Ed "Grinch" and offered his help when I hit Monarch Pass. I dredged up the phone number and gave him a call, "sure I'll come get you" was the reply.  Ed and his lovely wife, Trudy offered me a bed in their Buena Vista home. Wonderful people and such a comfortable home with mountain views out every window. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you have to deal with bikers Dad, I have to deal with that when I run I our hills where I live. Love the mushroom pic!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.