Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Mt. Zirkle Wilderness

  • Day:  92
  • Start:  1467
  • End:  1488
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  41
  • People met:  ~20


That's what was thought, the mountain top looked like a set of rabbit ears 


A couple of miles in, this is a big recreation area for Steamboat Springs. 

I pace back and forth and scuff the asphalt as I wait in the morning chill.  Austin, a local triple crowner, has just arrived and will give me a ride to the trailhead, a blessing.  He is a young man perhaps in his late 20's. When I offer money for his fuel, I hear the commen phrase, "so many people have helped me when I hike that I'm just paying it forward." Kindness that extends forever as people help each other without thought to compensation, this is one of the wonderful things I love about the hiker community. 


Winds from 15mph to 20mph forecasted today and they are every bit that. 
 
The trail is within the forest and is gentle with short and easy grades. 


This section has plenty of water and beautiful lakes


Another pretty little lake

I'm not in a wilderness so everything is acceptable on the trail, bikes and ATVs. Here it is Saturday and Steamboaters are out enjoying the trail too. I am passed by many bikes and I must say they are all polite and courteous. When I hear the ATVs I am disappointed because of the dust, exhaust, and noise. There are three of them in front of me that stop regularly so I catch up to them. Finally I just stop for an extended rest, letting them get some distance, this works. 


ATV 

Thankfully the forest is a buffer to the high winds. The constant roar of wind in the tress is present. I watch as trees wave with the force exerted on them. I'm concerned as about 40% of the forest is dead and standing. Tonight I've got to make sure my camp is located in a healthy section. 



Back in the wildrrness, just hikers now

On a positive note that mighty wind has cleared much of the smoke from the western states fires, plus no thunderheads. The threat of rain is nonexistent this week. I've reached my 20 miles early today and am tired. I think about adding more miles, then a protected camp site presents itself. So I stop early in the day make camp and promptly nap, ahhh pleasant  


Camped just beyond that rise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.