Saturday, August 1, 2015

Snow Mesa

  • Day:  69
  • Start:  982
  • End:  1007
  • Miles:  25
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  64
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  ~20


The trail is easy crossing this mesa 

He talks about everything as if he is uncomfortable with silence, Kevin is driving 3 of us up to the trailhead. He makes a modest income as a shuttle driver asking for a donation to help with gas.  What a blessing to have this service available as I'm on the trail at 0800 hrs. After a reasonable climb I emerge upon the Snow Mesa a relatively open and flat area making for a fast hike. 



Soon enough I'm climbing then descending an activity I'll repeat for a good portion of the day until I reach the Machin Basin. The scenery, while pretty is not on par with the San Juans. True, I'm jaded by all the splendor I've seen. 




The end if the valley requiring a climb out


Looking back from the end of the valley


The last ascent to enter Machin Basin

Once over the top of the last climb I descend into a valley that extends for miles. 



On the way down I discover a bull moose browsing. 






I'm reluctant to leave the trail for a better picture less I disturb him. 

He is a handsome fellow with a full rack. This valley is full of moose as every hiker I meet has seen moose. As I drop down I notice this valley is also a haven for beaver as I have never seen so many dams. Dams are so frequent that I'm reminded of rice paddy dikes in Asia. 


This beaver pond has trout rising to the evening hatch. I see them jump to catch the flys. 


Wild snap dragons

There are trees in this valley that I can camp under. I select a nice flat spot and after setting up my tent and completing my chores I'm immediately asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.