Saturday, August 1, 2015

Rain and no Water

  • Day:  71
  • Start:  1036
  • End:  1057
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  10


Mr Rabbit

The smell of cattle assails my senses as I hike a dirt road. Uphill I go with extra water to survive the 24 mile dry section. In addition to no water the section is known for it's rocky trail.  


Forest walk today

Now and then I get a glimps through the forest of the surrounding terrain. I'm hiking at about 9500' to 10,000', this is a hard adjustment from the high country. In fact I'm amazed at how high the clouds are now.  I've got quite a few ups and downs today on the rocky trail. 


Here's what the trail is like 


Another rocky section 


Sometimes the trail is like this, but not enough

Occasionally I get to the top of a rise and there is a meadow allowing for a bit of a view.  For a while the sun warmed the forest so the wonderful pine scent was apparent. 




So that's whats out there


Thunder showers enough to puddle 

The long range forcast is for rain today, they got it right. Had some rain this morning about 0400 hrs and now again at 1500 hrs. This afternoons rain is accompanied by lightning and thunder to the west and east of me. Time to put on my rain gear.  The rain imparts that sweet scent to the air. The wet forest adds its own special scents making a walk in the rain enjoyable. 





Hail at the top


20 miles and I think I'll look for a level place in the trees to camp

Still lightly raining and the trail goes downhill for a ways. I'm afraid I'll get into steep terrain and level spots will not be found. Going to find a place on top within the trees for drainage and protection. 


I'm in the pine duff for drainage. 

So all in all an interesting day and enjoyable

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.