Sunday, August 16, 2015

Lakes

  • Day:  85
  • Start:  1342
  • End:  1370
  • Miles:  28
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  80
  • Low temp:  35
  • People met:  too many to count


Early morning meadow 

The mist is rising everywhere from the rain last night. Saturated foliage causes me to wear my rain gear this morning. Today the trail is fairly easy, lots of flat and downhill with just a small bit of uphill, a hikers dream day. The sun's warmth starts the mist adding a special feeling to this mornings walk. 


This mornings mist 


A boardwalk over a marshy area, thank you. 

Soon I'm in the forest, a mixed one of beetle kill and living trees. The undergrowth is a marvelous low lying ground cover in a beautiful spring green. 





I reach the bottom of the grade and notice through the trees that I'm hiking along Monarch Lake. Right now the lake is still with only the occasional gentle ring from sipping trout. I see couple of fishermen in float tubes trying to fool those trout. 

I take a break at a picnic table, what a treat to have a table and seat. While eating I'm also drying my gear from last night's rain. 


Monarch Lake

Parked on the shore of Monarch Lake is an ancient steam donkey. These machines where fueled by wood and water to wench logs around the forest. That's how they moved as well, by wenching into position. I guess when the job shut down the operator just wenched his machine to a nice spot by the lake and left with sadness in his heart. 


Steam donkey 

Just down the road is another lake, Lake Granby. The trail follows the northern shore high above the lake. This side has sage brush being more high desert like than the southern side with a forest. Because of the arid condition I'm exposed to the afternoon sun and concerned about snakes. 


Lake Granby 

The afternoon thunderheads develope as I follow the trail up a finger of the lake called Grand Bay. So the rain starts and I don all my rain gear as the grass is now very wet. Thunder echoes off the mountains for the longest time, I find this enjoyable. The lighting seems to be within the clouds right now.  I am surprised to find a cow moose standing so close to the trail, she seems to have no fear. 



Finally I make it to Shadow Mountain Lake, the last lake before Grand Lake. As I follow the trail along her shores I flush an osprey from his perch. 


Shadow Mountain Lake

The trail drops into a parking area then continues on the streets of Grand Lake. I work my way to town and discover a wonderful little coffee/Ice cream shop. 


The Hub, coffee and ice cream 

Well it's definitely time for a treat, so I stop to get a milk shake, coffee flavored of course. While waiting for my treat I fellow my age strikes up a conversation about hiking and the CDT.  We visit for a while and he realizes I am heading to the hostel. Jim offers his second home as an alternative. Appearantly he is in town to meet his daughter and drive home to Utah with her on Monday. His home is much better located than the hostel, plus a washer and dryer. I accept his thoughtful offer and find I have an entire separate room and bathroom all to myself. We enjoyed an evening conversation over dinner at the Sagebrush BBQ Cafe. I'm greatful for Jim's generosity as this morning when packing my tent the shock cord that holds 1/3 of my tent poles together broke. Now I have a handful of short poles. Jim directs me to the local outfitter where I pickup bulk shock cord. 
Tomorrow we'll see if I can repair my gear. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.