Thursday, August 6, 2015

Lake Ann Pass

  • Day:  76
  • Start:  1124
  • End:  1150
  • Miles:  26
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  37
  • People met:  ~20


Now I'm on the other side of that big lake

He bounds away looking so majestic with his full rack. I spook a buck as he warms in the sun browsing for his breakfast.  Soon I'm in the forest again, the trail is mostly downhill for about 8 miles. The tread is pretty nice with a sprinkling of roots and rocks.  About noon I emerge from the trees to discover I'm looking at the same valley with the huge lake I saw yesterday afternoon, except now I'm looking back at that lake.  I've got to climb Lake Ann Pass and move into another drainage. 


The trail to Lake Ann Pass


Lake Ann Pass


Looking north from the Pass

I descend a rocky trail with plenty of chirping marmots. These guys are beautiful, with a sable fur and some subtle black rings on their tails. They are more shy though as I couldn't get a picture. 


Lake Ann

Past Lake Ann I drop into the forest. This trail will go another 7 miles to the bottom of Hope Pass. The forests in this part of the CDT have managed to avoid the bark beetle, they are much healthier and prettier. I'm impressed by the extent of the aspen forest I pass through, Fall must be stunning.  I stop for water at a waterfall, I haven't seen water running this much in a while. 




I cross a meadow to the north side mountains 

Once on the north side of the valley I follow the trail past beaver ponds and more forests with nice bridges over the creeks. 



I finally arrive at the bottom of Hope Pass, a 2.8 mile climb that most everyone on the trail has something to say about it, and it's not flattering. So I'll camp here and tackle the Pass when I'm fresh in the morning. Twin Lakes is on the other side about 8 miles away for resupply and perhaps food, yaaay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.