Thursday, August 6, 2015

Zero in Buena Vista and Monarch Pass

  • Day:  73 & 74
  • Start:  1082
  • End:  1103
  • Miles:  21
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  39
  • People met:  7


The store right on the summit

I turn over and slowly wake in a comfortable bed with the warm, comforting aroma of coffee drifting in to my room. Ed and I enjoyed watching the early morning sunrise over the mountains as we drank our coffee on his deck. Later I got my chores done in town using Ed's jeep. I was able to sanitize my drinking system, dry my gear, and wash my clothes.  Trudy's parents came for a visit from Arizona, they are delightful people. I helped Ed and Trudy around the house doing some work, made me feel comfortable there.  Everyone made me feel welcome and we all seems to enjoy each other's company. What a great time spent at there home. 
Early the this morning Ed gave me a ride back to the Pass, as rain splashed on the windshield. The sky is gray and still and the clouds are low. Occasionally rain falls then turns to mostly a fine mist. I am fresh and ready to climb.  


Looking back to the store


Such a gray day


Old Monarch Pass

I'm above the tree line now and wondering how the day will turn out, the forcast is 60% rain. 


In the clouds

I come upon a interesting ancient artifact, a game drive. Perhaps for thousands of years people maintained a walled area in which game was driven then killed.  A trace of the wall is left, it's actually hard to make out, perhaps it may be seen better from the air. 




The line of rocks is part of the original wall

After making the high point the trail drops into a valley, crossing a creek then follows a jeep road. 


The high point and my break spot


Very nice to have a sturdy bridge available 

Now up a valley to another pass. Part of this trail is a jeep road with ATV's passing me. Ahhh the quiet of internal combustion engines. But soon the trail leaves the road and I'm free of all that noise. 


At the end of the valley looking back from the top of the Pass


Down the other side. 



The sun comes and goes just like the rain. I make my way down this valley turning onto an old railroad grade. Appearantly the Denver, South Park and Pacific railroad was active here. 


I walk by sawmill curve


Very nice walking on such a nicely graded trail

As evening arrived I'm looking for a level spot under some trees and it's hard to find. Eventually I locate a suitable spot up hill from the trail. Time to rest from my journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.