Saturday, August 1, 2015

Machin Basin

  • Day:  70
  • Start:  1007
  • End:  1036
  • Miles:  29
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  77
  • Low temp:  30
  • People met:  23


A cold morning along Cochetopa Creek

Stiffness from the cold creeps into my hands, I stop to put on my gloves feeling instant relief.  The temperature has dropped this morning to freeze the dew on the grass. I'm not getting wet because what due is there is frozen, nice. The trail continues down Cochetopa Creek drainage on a nicely graded tread. 


A nice tread above the creek

All downhill for a while makes for some fast hiking. The scenery has changed dramatically from the high mountain meadows and grandeur to a more sedate landscape scene reminiscent of the high Sierras. I feel comfortable with these surroundings. 


Got to cross the creek here

I come to a crossing point on the creek. A log bridge is supposed to be here. It is acting as a dam with a nice waterfall, not much use to me. So I wade the creek a little further up, boots off. The water is so cold it makes my feet ache in no time.  


The valley goes on forever

After a long walk along the creek the trail finally turns to the east starting a valley crossing with sparce water.  I have plenty to make the crossing comfortably. 




The clouds roll in to give me shade

Thankfully the afternoon clouds develop providing a comfortable shade as I hike through the this valley. The temperature today is in the 70s and I'm feeling the heat. 


The end of this valley is in sight

Lots of open land filled with grass and some sage. The trail has become a dirt road for the entire trip through this valley. Finally the hills appear that I need to climb. There is a healthy forest with conifers and aspens bordering the comfortable rising trail. 



Once over the top I have about 5 miles till the last water before a 24 mile dry section tomorrow. I plan to fillup getting everything ready tonight so I can leave quickly in the morning.  Chores done and I relaxing in my tent journaling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.