Thursday, August 6, 2015

Hope Pass

  • Day:  77
  • Start:  1150
  • End:  1166
  • Miles:  16
  • Hours:  5.5
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  43
  • People met:  too many to count


Love these aspen forests

I adjust my pack belt and straps to allow my heart and lungs all the room they need as I take my first step in this climb. So many south bound hikers say this is a straight up climb without switchbacks. While this is a long climb, the trail in good shape and a bit steeper than what is usually expected from trail builders. Nonetheless, it is not a straight up trail. I have come to notice that many of the Colorado Trail hikers are fresman in the hiking world, they seem to relate information based upon one experience and not compared to a wide background. I will adjust my expectations in the future.  




Almost to the top

Yes I worked climbing Hope Pass and arrived at the Pass in 1hr 42min. On the way up I had the cool shade of the forest plus the shadow of the mountain. I was welcomed to the top with the first rays of the sun coming over the mountain top, very pleasant. 


South from the top


North from the top. Twin Lakes in the distance. 


One last look before I enter the forest. 

The trail down is also in good shape and I quickly enter the forest. The sunlight is warming the forest and the magical scents are starting to fill the air. 


The creek that runs close to the trail. 

The trail drops to the valley floor where the river that feeds Twin Lakes flows. I find my way to a suitable crossing, changing into my flip flops to cross. 

Trail to river


 Only knee deep without a strong current. 


Bridge not necessary today. 

As I continue across this trail I find that there 6 other pools of water I must navigate, off go the boots and on go the flip flops. Once across the watery flood plain it's a short roadwalk to town. Twin Lakes consists of a general store, an Inn and restaurant, and the cabins I'm in, that's about it. So far a fun day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.