Sunday, August 30, 2015

Goodbye Colorado

  • Day:  94
  • Start:  1510
  • End:  1537
  • Miles:  27
  • Hours:  13
  • High temp:  82
  • Low temp:  32
  • People met:  2


Slept in the ghost forest

Howling their morning songs, a group of coyotes waken me about 0500. I rest until 0600 as it seems chilly outside. The landscape has changed, I'm reminded of New Mexico by the Colorado border. The trail is dusty and rocky. Bikes can use the trail as well, they tend to pulverize the soil making dust. There are more open
meadows and fewer sources of water. 


A long valley I must traverse

I'm looking for a good source of water to load up for a 9 mile dry section. Well I found the water and something else, a problem. 


Now what?


There's a log to help me cross

So I used the log to cross the stream then gathered my water, everything worked out fine. 


The haze moves back in today, so the views are muted

The trail swiftly becomes an ATV trail as well, now wider but with more rocks exposed. I hike a roller coaster trail until about 1530 hrs, a little up and a little down. 


The meadows are turning golden, the Fall feeling is here. 

So the best part of the day was finishing Colorado. In retrospect I saw many splendid views and lots of wild life in Colorado. The towns were great and I met many nice people along the way.  Happy I hiked through Colorado when I did. 


At last


The State line on the CDT


Big acomplishment, happy

I still have hiking time left in the day, so I carry on. Tomorrow I expect to finish with this section and tie into the section I did from Encampment through the Great Basin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.