Sunday, August 30, 2015

Granite

  • Day:  93
  • Start:  1488
  • End:  1510
  • Miles:  22
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  32
  • People met:  6


This mornings trail in the Mt. Zirkle Wilderness

Blue sky this morning without a whisper of a breeze. In the far distance I can see a bit of a haze from the fires. Just the sound of the crunch of my boots on the decomposed granite is all that I hear.  I enjoy the serene quiet as I hike. 


Familiar feeling granite


I gather water from a nice running stream

 I climb comfortably until I'm above the timberline, then the winds come. The morning chill requires me to wear my rain jacket and gloves. The midmorning wind requires that I keep my gear on. The open granite reminds me of the Sierras, I feel at home in this familiar feeling landscape.


Near the top of my climb 


Just before I start to descend 


You can see the distant haze

I see in the distance the haze has increased, but I still seem to be smoke free. With so many fires in the western states I am impressed that the sky is as clear as it is today.  The entire afternoon is a descent, once I'm in the forest the chilly winds become a nice breeze. I gather some more water and continue deeper into the forest. Today with my pepperoni I try something new, mayonnaise. The results are delicious as the mayonnaise adds flavor and additional fat. I can feel the extra power from the fat as I start my afternoon hike. I'm delighted to discover that the thimbleberries are getting ripe, I sample a few as I walk by, sweet and delicious. Suddenly I'm in the ghost forest, ravaged by an ancient fire. The trail is nice through here so I'm traveling fast. 


Ghost forest

 I start a little climb to the next valley and come upon a lama train. 


They are a bit concerned about the camera

Once I reach to bottom the temperature climbs into the 80's. Thankfully I'm at the end of my 20 miles so I think I'll just take it easy and find a good camp site.  Another good day. I have to say that once my food is gone I don't seem to have a lot of power to continue. I have depleted most of my fat reserves. Thankfully,I do have plenty of food to carry me through so that's all right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.