Thursday, August 20, 2015

You Gotta Let Me By

  • Day:  87
  • Start:  0 =1370  4=1392
  • End:  4  1408
  • Miles:  20
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  73
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  ~30


Rocky Mountain National Park

The morning smells of a bacon and avocado omelette, just the thing to get me on my way. Jim's daughter, Jamie, came in about 2200 hrs last night. So the three of us are enjoying breakfast at the Sagebrush Cafe. I collect my resupply box from the post office, then sort my food back at Jim's. Some house cleaning to close it up, because Jim and his daughter are heading home to Utah today.  Pictures and a fond farewell with much gratitude for Jim's generosity. 
The trail goes right through town, so I make a familiar walk by places I've enjoyed. 


The mountains are not as high in this section

The trail climbs out of town at a surprisingly gentle grade. I chose to take the alternate route out of town instead of doing the 22 mile Rocky Mountain Park route. I follow a stream until I come to the main trail, lots of day hikers and horse riders ou today.  I walk by three trailheads with parking lots, then I'm alone for the rest of the day. 


The whole state has been Never Summer


Logs, thankfully 

I follow another stream up a nicely graded trail to Bowen Pass. I've been mostly in the forest all day with the exception of the two meadows. The sky is filling with dark clouds and thunder echoes off the mountains. Rain and hail start rather suddenly, so time for rain gear. About twenty minutes later I'm under blue sky. My hopes are high that I can make Bowen Pass without any weather. 


Bowen Pass is just ahead

I approach the last section before the pass, I can see the trail up the grade and know I'm almost done climbing for a while. Then a problem arises, right on the trail browsing away are two bull moose. Now what?


The younger bull

Well the younger bull decides he had better get out of here now, so he eyes me then leaves. The old bull is not interested in moving at all. I find a path around him at a safe distance. I try to keep objects between us so there isn't a direct line to charge. Now the old bull hears me going around him so he walks up the trail. 


The old bull watching me before he moves up the trail 

This is just not going to work if he won't cooperate and let me by. I continue trying to go around him and finally he starts moving off the trail and up the grade. 


The pass I must cross is just up in front of him 

Made it by him, he did not seem aggressive just stubborn and disinterested with a don't bother me attitude. I'm fine with that as long as I can get around somehow. 
On the pass I rest an have some food. A little bold chipmunk starts to investigate me. 


Sure they always seem cute



It's all fun and games until Mr. Chipmunk shows his rodent side and starts to nibble on my trekking pole straps. I tell him NO!, but he completely ignores me. I have to get up to chase him away, time to leave.  The descent is pleasant, I spot a female moose, say hi and she turns tail to leave. Now I'm in a dead forest and it's time to camp. I have been looking for a safe place to camp, but the dead trees are too many, I'm wary that they may simply fall and I don't want to be what they fall on. Finally a level area with healthy trees. I select and clean a spot under a tight group of trees for rain and widowmaker protection. 
Three hikers that flipped to Canada are camping close to me, they are the first of those that I've seen. That means there will be more coming soon, perhaps I'll see some that I know.  
Darkness now and thunder rolls in from the east and lightening flashes making me feel cozy in my tent.  A good day today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.