Wednesday, May 17, 2017

800 miles

  • Day:  68
  • Start:  799.1
  • End:  806.7
  • Miles:  7.6
  • Hours:  3
  • High temp:  91
  • Low temp:  64
  • Thru hikers met:  2

 
A suspension bridge, is always fun as it sways as I walk across it. 

Great start this morning at 0630 hrs. I've got a little flat section then some of a climb to get to highway 60 and resupply in Lexington.  The air thus morning is surprisingly warm with 40% humidity. I'm heating up and I haven't really started working. At the north end of the bridge there is an out of control jasmine plant. It is using other plants as it's support system. The blooms are extensive and the scent is overwhelming. 

 
Parasitic jasmine 

Then I come upon a nice blooming mountain laurel, so I just have to take a picture to share 

 

A while after crossing the bridge the trail swings west and I notice the Lynchbury Reservoir. I'm walking high above the water while catching glimpses through the trees. I think just the proximity to this lake increases the humidity.  The lake is refreshing and pleasant to see as I hike. So I am reminded that today I cross the 800 mile mark by someone's thoughtful sign. 

 
800 miles!

The trail takes me away from the reservoir and up a feeder stream canyon. This is a fairly good running stream with some nice little waterfalls. 

Brown Mountain Creek

This part of the trail is also very pleasant with the accompanying playful sounds of the water. 

 
Love this pretty section

 
One last crossing

The trail raises up and away from the creek heading toward route 60.  I notice some nicely formed fungi attached to a log.  Mushrooms and fungi are in short supply and this one was particularly attractive.  Often times they are damaged by people or more probably animals looking for food. 

 


 I make the highway by 0930 hrs and I'm very pleased as the trail crosses the summit where there is room for cars to pull off.  Cub and Mantis are already trying to get a ride into town, they say it's ok for me to join them. Almost an hour later we get a ride from a hiker/trail angel named Don. He has pulled off to drop two hikers and is happy to help us get to town. In town I pickup my resupply then grab a meal at the local cafe, TNT.  Now to get a room and sort everything out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.