Friday, May 5, 2017

Camping

  • Day:  53
  • Start:  657.0
  • End:  676.0
  • Miles:  19
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  45
  • People met:  3

A pocket of these exists along the trail

 Reports from hikers spotting snakes are becoming more prevalent. The spotted reptiles are a long black snake which is non-venomous and rattlesnakes which are venomous. So it appears the hibernation period for snakes has ended. Another complication of hiking is now reptile awareness. 
A cloudy sky with lower temperatures this morning.  I'm a little late on the trail at 0815 hrs. The usual morning climb is in order as I make my way through the rhododendron tunnels. I'm thankful for the cooler morning temperatures for minimizing my perspiration. Once I'm at the top, the trail runs along the lea side of the mountain, again I thankful for being protected from the wind.  However, the trail is rocky requiring me to rock hop and to be cautious to avoid jamming my toes on the rocks.  At noon I stop for nourishment and a rest. I take off my boots to allow my feet to cool and relax. They feel so much better after a cooling off period. Another climb this afternoon, the good thing is, switchbacks making the ascent more gradual and reasonable. 
For most of the day there are little flowers along the trail. 

 
Dogwoods

The dogwoods are still blooming with larger trees in this section. As I descend I notice beautiful pink flowers on a medium height shrub. (Flower picture above). There is a cluster of these wonderful flowering shrubs right along the trail. Their unique color and shape add a special dimension to my hike.  As I get lower and close to the end of my day I enter some farm  country. 

 

 

The trail winds through this pleasant valley crossing a state highway and the heading back into the forest. 

 
Virginia route 42 in the background 

 

Crossing the highway I climb a gently ascending trail to the first stand of trees where I find a suitable camping location. I must say I'm very happy camping out here in the silence of the forest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.