Friday, May 5, 2017

Keffer Oak


  • Day:  54
  • Start:  676.0
  • End:  697.3
  • Miles:  21.3
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  78
  • Low temp:  49
  • People met:  3

The Keffer Oak over 18' around and over 300 years old. The largest oak on the southern AT

It is impressive to walk by

 Yesterday evening BluRay and Bald Eagle wanted to camp where I setup camp. I was gracious even though they could have easily moved on just a bit further or setup further away from me. These fellows are older but seem to be new to distance hiking. The good thing is they were quiet so I didn't require earplugs. 
Off to a proper start this morning, 0650 hrs.  I cross an open green field then I am back in the forest.  After my morning climb I hike along a rocky ridge. For a while it is very rocky with the trail going across large slabs of rock. 


About .5 mile of this type of rock

 
More rocky walking

A nice feature of all the rocky areas here is the trees have a hard time growing so there is a view. 

 
View from the big rocks

The flowers are somewhat sparse in this section. I've noticed a few dogwoods and the pretty pink flowers I saw yesterday.  

 
Saw just a few of these

 
This was the only place these little flowers bloomed

So I get to a sign that says the eastern continental divide.  Appearently the waters on the west side of Sinking Creek Mountain drain into the Mississippi while the east side drains into the James River and then to the Atlantic. 

Eastern continental divide

Another climb is in order after noon and the reward here is a monument dedicated to Audie Murphy. Audie was an American hero being the most decorated soldier in WWII. He passed in a airplane crash not for from this site in 1971. 

 
Veterans have left dog tags and emblems of their service. Civilians have left coins and really all kinds of stuff

 
American WWII hero

After a moment of silence and a heartfelt thank you I moved on.  
 
 
Fascinating flowers 

Not sure if these flowers are in full bloom or not.  I've never seen a flower like this.  I water up at a little stream and rest before another climb. The day is drawing to a close as I reach a nice view. 

 
Last view of my day

Now I'm looking for a camping spot. The spots are simply nonexistent as I'm not walking a rocky ridge. Finally there is a suitable cleared spot, it's a little closer to the trail than I prefer but I  take it.  Plus there is room for only one, happy about that. Another good day on the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.