Thursday, May 11, 2017

Black Horse Gap

  • Day:  62
  • Start:  728.1
  • End:  741.7
  • Miles:  13.6
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  58
  • People met:  16


 
The mountain laurel is starting to show 

Today is a test to see if the foot pain has subsided enough to resume trail life. I've been to a local poditrist for a cure and staying at Hikermom's home in Roanoke. I've been soaking in Epsom salts trying to reduce the inflammation.  Byron and Karen, (Hikermom), are two wonderful people that share a deep love for the AT.  Hikermom has completed over 700 miles of the trail. They shuttle hikers and allow the injured ones to stay with them.  They have a small effecincy studio under the main house leading to their backyard.  
Today's forecast is for some pretty good thunder storms about 1000 hrs.  As soon as I'm dropped off at 0730 hrs the rain starts and is increasing in intensity.  The trail today is along the Blue Ridge Parkway a  beautiful hike in the lush Virginia forest. The rhododendrons are blooming as well as the mountain laurels as I make my way.  

 

 

 
Rhododendrons 

The rhododendrons seem to be very sensitive as they bloom right now only in certain areas.  As I hike I notice other rhododendrons that are ready but not yet deciding to bloom.  The mountain laurel once started is not as picky because I see them all along the trail now. 

 
Just a few of these today

 
Then the sun comes out

The forecast is off thankfully, as the sun starts to peek through the overcast sky.  The humidity in the forest is high as well as the temperature.  Even before the sprinkling of sunshine this morning's temperature is warm.  The tread is smooth and fast to hike so I press on a little harder than perhaps I should.  
I'm looking for wildlife in the forest and come upon this little fellow right on the trail. 

 
A box turtle, a small little fellow as you can see by the leaves, about 8" long 

I marvel at the beauty of this little guy's shell.  He keeps pulling back in so I exercise some patience waiting for his head to finally show.  I leave him to his method as I'm sure he'll find a safe spot. 

 
Plenty of water, this stream is particularly pretty

I notice the little orange salamanders are out today. They seem to be begging for me to take their picture. 

 
Fascinating little fellows

I make a couple of small climbs to a final ridge on Fullhardt Knob then make a long descent to the end of today's hike.  

Close to Fullhardt Knob 

On the way I cross some private land that has been cleared of trees. 

 
Fullhardt Knob

A couple of miles to go and Hikermom will pick me up. I may have been too aggressive in my hike as I am ready to get these boots off.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.