Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Lodge

  • Day:  77
  • Start:  902.8
  • End:  924.4
  • Miles:  21.6
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  49
  • Thru hikers met:  1

 
Big Meadow Lodge

I'm on the trail at 0837 hrs with my destination, Big Meadows 21.7 miles away.  The wind is up today clearing the low lying clouds away.  This is my third day in Shenandoah Park, I'm hoping to see some animals before I leave. I figure I've got about three days left in the park.  On the ride to Smith Roach Gap, my start spot we spotted a turkey on the side of the road. 
The spring flowers are waning and the forest staples, the mountain laurel and the rhododendrons, are not in the forest today. Lots of green ferns provide a beautiful backdrop for today's hike. 

 
Some sunlight makes it's way through 

The trail ascends this morning for about 1 mile. There is a reward view towards the top. 

Westerly view from Hightop Mountain 

I must say the forest is homogenous today with little unusual features to report. I find the occasional flooded tread which forces me to hop rocks or travel in the foliage. I'm pleased that the wind has dried out the foliage so I'm staying dry as long as I stay out of the water on the tread.  

 
This rock is the best unusual feature so far today

About 1600 hrs the trail crosses Lewis Falls trail. This is a short .4 mile detour to the Big Meadows Wayside. So I decide to go for meal. The wayside has a small cafe that serves Sysco food, (I saw the delivery truck leave as I was arriving).  So my expectations are low about great food.  There is also a gift shop and a small store with some car camping supplies and snack food. So I get a hamburger followed by hand scooped blackberry ice cream. The blackberry ice cream is the Park's signature dessert. I do not have any cell service up here so I ask my server if there is a way to contact the Lodge to check on availability of a room. She happily says she will help and finds out there is 6 rooms available. So I grab one figuring they will be gone in a short time.  One mile up the road I arrive at the Lodge.  

 
The Lodge

 
The great room is now the dining room because of the renovations

 
Lodge rooms and cabins
 
 
View from my balcony

The Lodge is being renovated so the great room is not available to use as a lounging .  There is a Tap room that has a more modern feel instead of a classic lodge feel. My room is nice with rustic beds and wood paneling. 

My room 

 
View from the Lodge deck

This property does not seem to be built during the Great Depression by our public forces. The massive log and rock feel of Mt Hood is not at all present here.  
The turkey was my only animal all day. I wonder if the increased human traffic on this Memorial Day weekend may be making the animals move to more quiet parts of the mountains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.