Friday, May 5, 2017

McAfee Knob

  • Day:  55
  • Start:  697.3
  • End:  718.7
  • Miles:  21.4
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  53
  • People met:  7

 
McAfee Knob 

This morning is a ridge walk requiring no climbing, very nice.  I did have to wear my rain jacket for warmth for the first mile though. Today is going to be a splendid day, actually the best day yet.  First on the list is the Dragon's Tooth, followed by McAfee Knob , then the Tunker Cliffs, plus I've broken the 700 mile mark.   The Dragon's Tooth is among many of the rich features with views. 

Nice little peek on the way 

 
Great view this morning 
 
 

 
Other rocks look like teeth as well in this area

So I get to the Dragon's Tooth early and no one is here. The Tooth is the biggest rock I've seen on the trail. I notice some growth on the rocks that has dried and now peeling, kind of suggests a Dragon's skin. Plus there are some great views up here. 

The Dragon's Tooth

 
Dragon Scales?

From the Dragons's Tooth approach trail
 
The way down from the Dragon's Tooth is not for the fain of heart.  I am required to do rock scrambling while following a wild trail that goes over fissures on almost vertical slabs. 

 
The trail goes right up the rock

 
In two spots these assists were installed 

Needless to say the scramble down was slow going.  The trail further down had a hard time shaking the rock scramble as challenges  appear again and again as I descend.  Finally the trail smooths out and something appeared that I've been waiting for since I started, the rhododendrons started to bloom 

 
Yes!


 

 


The forest here has these beautiful rhoddies sprinkled about adding a delightful touch. 
In the afternoon I start my ascent to McAfee's Knob, an iconic Appalachian Trail spott that I have been waiting to see for over 700 miles. I get there and there is just one person left, J2 a thru hiker.  We assist each other in taking some pictures. I'm thankful someone was there to help me with my pictures. 

 
 So happy to be here

 
View from McAfee's



Movie of the view from McAfee's

I continue my hike as the forecast is for .5 inches of rain this evening. I've got another 5 miles to cover to the sanctuary of a shelter.  Just around the corner from McAffee are these huge rocks. 

They make a fun passage way

 
 
A Great White?

 
Such a great section

 
Perfect shelter if it rains. 

When I head for a shelter this late I never know if I'm going to get a spot.  I haven't seen that many hikers today but there could be southbounders taking up spaces. The shelter is rated for about 6 people.  
I come to Tinker's Cliffs. What is so great about this is the Cliffs run for maybe .3 of a mile and the trail is right on the edge. This means there is almost a continuous view, but I have to stop to enjoy it as one misstep and, well the edge is right there.  

 
Tinker's Cliffs

 
A nice green head of hair on this rock

Now the trail heads downhill to the shelter, I've got maybe 2 miles to go. At the 1 mile mark there is a huge crack of thunder which sends the rain.  I gear up and try to close the mile as quickly as possible.  When I arrive at the shelter it is 1830 hrs and there are many people there. I chat a while and then ask if  there is room for me. The guys there generously make me a spot bringing the shelter total to 8. Thankfully I'm covered tonight as the rain comes down long and hard until the early morning hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.