Thursday, May 25, 2017

900

  • Day:  75
  • Start:  881.9
  • End:  902.8
  • Miles:  20.9
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  61
  • Low temp:  54
  • Thru hikers met:  1

 
Blackrock Mountain, really a pile of black rocks on the top of the mountain, aptly named. 

Today is rainy with the trail in the clouds. I enjoy the quiet the mist creates in the forest, it is similar to the quiet condition of falling snow.  I find in many sections the grasses and plants are encroaching upon the tread. The problem with foliage on the trail is two fold, first ticks like to hang out in the ready for a passerby, second the heavy moisture transfers to my boots and pants. I've switched to summer boots that are not lined with a waterproof membrane, I did this for the cooler temperatures offered to my feet. So in with the waterproof feature my feet rapidly get soaked.  I haven't included any pictures of the obscured tread I guess because I am disappointed by it and I use my trekking poles to push my way through trying to avoid contact with my boots. 

 
A nice rest location 

 
This buck was drinking from a pool in the trail. He just didn't want to leave the area and kept crossing back and forth until I moved forward. 

The rain came in with more intensity as did the wind about 1130 hrs.  Now the pleasant morning hike is becoming more of a trudge.  However, in this weather I am using water at very low rate which is a positive feature. 

 
Attractive little stream. 

Just about to the end of today's hike I cross over the 900 mile mark, nice. 
Tomorrow is forecasted to be even more stormy weather so after today's hike I decide to go back to the hostel and wait out the storm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.