Monday, May 29, 2017

Mountain Home Cabbin

  • Day:  79
  • Start:  958.1
  • End:  969.7
  • Miles:  11.6
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  71
  • Low temp:  64
  • Thru hikers met:  2

 
 
Mountain Home Cabbin

Off to a slow start today at 0915 hrs. The sun is out with a thin cloud layer. Today's plan is to hike to Front Royal and stay at the Mountain Home Cabbin Hostel which is very close to the trail. I've got a resupply box at the post office, because of our holiday they are closed today.  Since the hiking distance is only 11 miles I am not rushed to start.  The trail has drained in most places from yesterday's deluge. In one section I find a nice bloom of mountain laurels with a pleasant scent in the air. 

 
 
It may not show up here really well, but there is a nice bloom of mountain laurels along this stretch. 

One last crossing of Skyland Drive and I'm heading to the last of the Shenandoah Park.  This last section is quiet and beautiful. I enjoy my last bit of the park hiking on a nicely graded tread. . I come to the permit station where I deposit my permit. 

 
Looking back into the park. Permit box on the left. 

A few more steps to the park boundary sign. A day hiking couple offer to take my picture there. 

 
The north end of the Shenandoah Park on the AT

The trail feels different now, not as special I guess. I hike the last couple of miles to the highway where the hostel is close by.  As I approach the highway I'm greeted by 2 PCT hikers providing trail magic.  Junior and Blaze hiked the PCT in '15. They offer me a beer and some chips. We chat a while then they point out another car offering additional trail magic. Karen and her mom are as delighted to see me as I am to see them. They build me a delicious BLT, heavy on the mayo and bacon, plus a plate of Greek salad with roasted chicken, a hard boiled egg, some fresh fruit and fresh baked banana bread.  A true feast of healthy delicious foods. Karen and her mom dropped her AT thru hiking Aunt and Uncle off at this point 15 years ago, making this trailhead meaningful to them.  

 
Karen and her mom, what a wonderful spirit lifting afternoon. 

Junior and Blaze making my day with a cool beverage. 

In an effervescent mood I take my leave. I have .3 of a mile to go before the hostel and I rest.  The Mountain Home Cabbin is a hostel located on the grounds of a early 1800s home under renovation to become a B&B. The Cabbin, (this is how they spell it), is an old slave quarters that has been renovated and is a very nice 8 person hostel. 

 
The Cabbin

Upstairs bunk room, I'm in the back on the left

 
The renovation project 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.