Monday, May 15, 2017

Thunder Ridge

  • Day:  66
  • Start:  756.3
  • End:  776.3
  • Miles:  20.0
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  59
  • People met:  3

 
On the way to Apple Orchard Mountains

After a restful sleep I make my way to the road going back to the trail.  In the time of one hour 4 cars pass by. I'm just about ready to walk back to the motel as they will provide a ride at 0900 hrs., when a local stops and asks if I need a ride to the trail. YES!  Appearently Tim's activity today is to roundup his 4 year old 1500 lb bull that has escaped his pasture. I wish him luck as he does me and I'm in the trail at 0815 hrs.  The overnight clouds are clearing and sunny blue sky awaits.  I surprise a deer and she bounds across the path 15' front of me.  I face a long climb this morning, I figure about 3.5 hours. 

 

This mornings forest has a few blooming rhododendrons or mountain laurels, plus there is this interesting bloom the shows in the various colors of pink, lavender or white. 

 
I just love these rhododendrons 

 
There a lots if these today, however they are not grouped close enough for a nice group shot

 
These flowers are nicely growing along the trail as if planted. 

 

About noon I come upon a road with two fellows and some trail magic. These guys are about my age and are hikers too, so they understand what I like. They offered me Gatorade, fruit and cheese crackers. I enjoyed there company and generous gifts. Luke Linenan is the trail name of one of the fellows, he shared stories of his last trip to California and Montana. Thankful the.cheerfulness these men brought to me today. 

 
Another hiker just arrived for trail magic

Next up is, Thunder Ridge. What's interesting about this mountain top is it has an enormous communications installation, oh and there are some views. 


Thunder Ridge communications installation or is it a space craft?

The views are filtered through some dead standing trees and there is a haze in the air. Pictures would be a waste on this view, so I carry on. In a shirt while I'm at "The Guillotine". 

 
Yikes!

 
I know lots if trail shots. Just that it seems so striking to me at the time. 

I cross the Blue Ridge Parkway 2 times artiving at the Thunder Ridge Overlook. 

 
Looking west from the Overlook.

I continue hiking until 1800 hrs when a find a suitable campsite. I figure I've hiked enough today so I settle down for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.