Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Shenandoah National Park

  • Day:  74
  • Start:  861.9
  • End:  881.9
  • Miles:  20
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  58
  • Thru hikers met:  5

 
Lady Slippers

Today I start in the Shenandoah National Park, a section I've been looking forward to because of the hoped for beauty, animals and waysides. Waysides are places within the park that provide food, that means I get relief from hiker food and don't have to carry as much. I start at Rockfish Gap at 0930 hrs, a little late but the early morning was rainy so it balanced out. I walk a half a mile on the road then the trail takes off into the forest. Within 15 milutes I come across a self registration station. I get my permit for camping within the park and then continue hiking. Rain is forecasted for this afternoon so I install pack cover. The trees hold a lot of moisture and  every once in a while the breeze picks up and the trees shed their water in big fat drops. The trail is nice this morning with few negotiating hazards. The understory in the beginning is filled with ferns, making me think of the movie Jurassic Park.  Then I move into a zone where the mountain laurel is blooming in mass. All along the trail the mountain laurel is happening, some in white and some in pink. I'm not noticing any rhododendrons here today. The forest scent enlivened by the rain is sweet, earthy and spicy. 

Pink Mountain Laurel my favorite. 

I pass a huge boulder covered in moss, I figure it is picture worthy. 

 


 
The trail will cross the Skyway many times 

I come upon some semi balds, not really grassy expanses like I've seen in the past, however there is a bit of a view. 
I reach the almost summit of Bear Den Mountain finding it full of communication towers.  Along the side of the compound is a small mowed area with tractor seats mounted on steel bars, they make a strange little park. 

Tractor Park 

 
Day hikers and their pup at Berar Den Mountain 

 
Meadow on the flanks of Bear Den Mountain 

 
The green tunnel

 
Clouds move in in the afternoon 

An i nteresting change from normal trail signs is they are concrete posts with the attached information stamped into metal bands. 


SNP trail signage

 
The information requires a closer study than normal signs

About and hour befor my scheduled stop Point the rain starts gently falling. I use my umbrella to avoid getting too hot in my rain gear.  I'm not worried about the rain as much because I've arranged for a pickup to the local hostel. I wait 20 minutes and my ride arrives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.