Monday, May 22, 2017

Rockfish Gap

  • Day:  72
  • Start:  853.1
  • End:  861.9
  • Miles:  8.9
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  57
  • Thru hikers met:  0

 
 
Still in the clouds

The rain ended sometime in the early morning hours. The forest continued to drip until just before I started hiking.  Surprisingly the temperature this morning is mild and comfortable for hiking.  I'm low enough in elevation that the tread has few rock jumbles to contend with, making the tread an easier fast walk.  I'm enjoying the mist in the forest as it adds a nice dimension. This morning my goal is 9 miles away at Rockfish Gap, the beginning of Shenandoah National Park. Rockfish Gap is also my resupply town of Waynsbrough a couple of miles away.  In a while I meet a troop of boy scouts that are coming from their camp at the shelter. Makes me glad I chose to camp where I did because the shelter area was packed with the boys. I make good time arriving at the shelter I see about 8 people getting ready for the day. 

 
Close to the Paul Wolf Shelter

 
I marveled at this fungus making a home in such a protected place

 
Fascinating the industry to create a stone fireplace such as this out here. 

The only other people on the trail this morning are 3 runners. I'm close to civilization when I see runners. 
Sure enough the forest ends and I'm at the Parkway. Attached to the guardrail there is a list of people willing to pickup hikers and bring them the 2.5 miles to town for free.  There are 3 roads coming together here, interstate 64, US 250 and The Blue Ridge Parkway which turns into Skyway Drive through the park. I walk over to US 250 to see if I can muster a ride.  Enough cars go by in 15 minutes with no interest in transporting me to town. I walk over to a gourmet popcorn food trailer, the only establishment here, to call some of the numbers on the list. Five people later still no luck. Then a man walks over asking me if I know where the closest gas station is. I direct him to the vendor, but ask if he could give me a lift to town.  John and his wife are visiting from Canada and staying in the park. They gladly drive me to town and we all decide to enjoy a breakfast. They are both retired and quite lovely people. We enjoy a nice conversation over breakfast, then they insist on taking me to the Inn where I'm going to stay. Very nice morning. 
Time to dry my gear and make a repair on my pack cover.  Appearently the cover was abraded at some point causing some small pin point holes. Easily repaired with some Tenacious Tape. Tomorrow I'll pickup my resupply at the post office just a few blocks away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.