Thursday, May 18, 2017

Salt Log Gap

  • Day:  69
  • Start:  806.7
  • End:  815.2
  • Miles:  8.5
  • Hours:  3
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  57
  • Thru hikers met:  3

 
Cole Mountain Bald

Ken, a local trail maintenance volunteer and shuttle driver dropped me off this morning at 0745 hrs. 

 
Ken

I plan to do a small section of 8 miles today then get back to Lexington. Tomorrow morning I have a follow up appointment for my foot with my doctor at his Lexington office. 
This morning is wonderful with a nice breeze, some thin cloud cover and the temperature at 70. The forest has had a cleaning fire in the recent past leaving all the trees without the thick understory brush.  There is a nice open feel as I walk through this forest.  

 

 

Some small flowers appear in such density that their scent is delightful to my senses. 

 
Very nice fragrance

 
 Up close they have a gentle beauty  


Cole Mountain 

Cole Mountain Bald has a splendid view as you can see from the first picture.  I come upon some more balds that create a park like setting. Some of the balds do not really sport a view other than the relaxing park feel.  

Tar Jacket Ridge 

 

So Ken tells me that Tar Jacket Ridge got its name because there used to be a lot of brambles there and using the local vernacular people would say, "on that ridge you can 'tar' yer jacket" . Made me laugh.  Now there is a service road that allows for mowing of the balds.  While mowing is not really a natural forest feel, I found this section to be a pleasant hike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.