Monday, May 1, 2017

Thunder Storm

  • Day:  52
  • Start:  642.0
  • End:  657.0
  • Miles:  15.0
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  50
  • People met:  6

Wild iris are starting to show

 

Ominous clouds blanket the sky with the threat of rain. Thunderstorms are forecast for today with 100% rain predicted. So far just some sprinkles now and then. The trail leads me uphill for a while then evens out following the ridge from mountain top to mountain top.  Once on the ridge I encounter jumbled rocks to navigate combined with the wind.  I can hear the rushing sounds of the wind gusts coming up the mountain side in the tree tops. So far the trees are protecting me from the raw force of the wind. Occasional drops remind me of the forecast, but no thunder yet. 

 
Today there are pink ones 

The understory is lush with changing foliage as I move along the trail. I hike into an open bald where the wind picks up pushing me about. 

 
A nice reward view 

 

 
The last view before I drop into the forest 

I descend from the splendid views back into the forest and now there is thunder. As the rain starts I question if I really need my jacket. Since the rain is not relenting the answer is yes time to put it on. I make Stony Creek Road where there is a ride to take me to Angel's Rest.  
I have resupply boxes redirected to the Angel's Rest from the post office. A lighter sleeping bag as the days warm up is needed, so I send my warmer one home. Resupply food plus socks I'm looking forward too.  I have time left in the day to get my chores done and mail my package home. A successful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.