Saturday, May 6, 2017

Daleville

  • Day:  56 - 57
  • Start:  718.7
  • End:  728.1
  • Miles:  9.3
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  57
  • People met:  8

 
Some of the trail is a little wet this morning 

By morning the rain has stopped so I  thank my shelter mates for making room for me and I'm on the trail before 0700 hrs.  In places water springs directly from the trail creating little streams where the tread should be.  So it's a water hazard hike this morning.  The forest is misty and warm, there is no need for a jacket

A magical feel 

The mist in the forest creates a surreal and peaceful feel as I travel silently through.  The birds are not singing, the forest is quiet.  The moisture hangs thick in the air seemingly quieting my pack as well.  

 
The shroud of mist in the valley near Daleville 

After a while the mist starts to clear and the clouds start to allow a bit of sunlight to filter through. The birds take their cue and start their morning thankful songs for another day. 

 
The mist clears 
 
 
So peaceful this morning 

Some more interesting rocks appear providing me with a sense of wonder.  I do a couple of rock scrambles as the blazes lead me up and over. 

 
A scramble around the corner where the rock dips down quite a bit

Amazed st the forces required to create this 

 
Carvin Cove Reservoir 

Occasionally views are presented making this last section all the more interesting. I can hear the rushing sounds traffic on US 220 in Daleville so I know I'm getting closer. 

 
Carvin Cove Reservoir and Roanoke, Va

The trail weaves across a couple of high tension power lines them drops on down the mountain heading to town. I can quicken my pace as the trail flattens. 

 
No bigger than an 1.5" this little guy stood still and posed for me. 

The traffic sounds are now very loud and I can even see glimpses of vehicles as they move through town.  Then just like that the trail pops me out at the highway. 

 
The forest ends 

 
And the town begins

The trail picks up on the other side of the highway

I arrive at town at 1030 hrs and less the 500' away is the lodging  where my resupply box is waiting.  I have many items on my todo list such as retreating my clothes with permethrin, resuppling electrolytes, shopping for depleted foot care items, new prescription plus general resupply and cleaning.  I'll stay tomorrow as well giving my feet some healing time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.