Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Priest

  • Day:  70
  • Start:  815.2
  • End:  833.5
  • Miles:  18.3
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  86
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru hikers met:  2

 
Rhododendrons by Salt Log Gap

Doctor appointment goes well, making headway. I feel positive this issue will be resolved.  Ken drops me at Salt Log Gap at 1000 hrs. Such a late start makes me feel like I'm behind.  I put those late thoughts out of my mind while focusing on my foot feeling better.  The trail is clear of obstacles for the most part as well as just mild ups and downs.  The forest is still open here, according to Ken it's because of a back fire set last December to help control a forest fire.  Looking at the forest today convinces me it has remarkable recovery capabilities.  This mornings forecast is for  scattered thunderstorms coming in from the Midwest.  Right now the sky's clear and sunny with no breeze. 

Can you see him? I came upon this little guy on the trail, scaring him enough that he climbed this shrub. 

 
This fellow was not bothered by me as he was very busy collecting nectar. 

I've got a bit of a climb up to the Priest. That's how this mountain is referred to.  Just about the top is an unusual rock formation that I suspect is the Priest. 

 
 The Priest

Just up the trail are some rocks called The Ledges. These rocks offer  a nice westerly view. 

 
View from The Ledges

The thunder clouds are trying to form and from the looks of things the activity may be south of me.  


The forest on top of The Priest

No the trail leads to a steep downhill for about 4 miles. I'm planning on a solid water source about halfway down.  The trail is steep, rocky and slow to maneuver at first then it flattens out some with a nice tread.  I can hear the water and it bring a smile to my face as I've managed my water nicely with a .3 liter left.  I fill up with three liters to have enough for tomorrow's climb. 

 
Cripple Creek, it is a great water source

Now down to the highway and Tye River. Once at the bottom of the mountain I am faced with another suspension bridge. This bridge is narrow, when I turn sideways on it to take a picture of the river I fill up the walking space with my pack. 

 
Tye River suspension bridge

The Tye River. Looks like a nice trout stream. 

I finish my day by climbing 2 miles to a good tent site. It is quiet and peaceful here, a great place to set my tent.  Currently the sky is clear with a bit of a breeze coming up.  I'll just have wait to see if the thunderstorm comes my way tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.