Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Eye of the Storm

  • Day:  78
  • Start:  924.4
  • End:  942.0
  • Miles:  17.6
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  59
  • Thru hikers met:  2

  View from the Franklin Cliffs

The breakfast buffet was honest filling food. I was able to eat and be on the trail by 0830 hrs. Just a quick side trail from the Lodge brings me back to the AT.  The air is cool with the sun shining.  I arrive at the Franklin Cliffs, stopping to enjoy to view. 

 This mornings trail

A pretty little stream

 

I'm always relaxed with a sense of calm on the nicely maintained section.  It is trying pushing the grasses aside to avoid ticks. 
The forecast for this afternoon is severe thunderstorms on into the evening. I feel as though I'm walking into the eye of the storm. I'm ready to select a campsite as soon as the weather changes. 
I turn a corner and see Little Cheese, (now just Cheese), and Einstein resting. They are concerned about the forecast as well and suggest we go to a hostel in Luray once we get to Thornton Gap.  I'm very interested in getting out of the mountains to escape another big weather event. 
Close to 8 miles I come to the Skyland Lodge. This is another modern feeling lodge so much different than the lodges of the West. 

 
Skyland Lodge

 
The Dining room, gift shop and tap room

 
Very nice coffee mugs


Lunch is pulled pork tacos with a side salad

The luxury of having a restaurant right on the trail is a delight that I do not overlook  I planned to carry less food and ready I didn't need to have any of my trail food today.

 
Enormous tread due to the heavy traffic 

 
View Little Stony Man Cliffs

 
The weather is changing. Through the clouds I can see the tops of thunderheads in the distance 

I'm now in a section of rocky outcrops and unnamed cliffs all sporting nice views to the west.  I close my hiking day with a side trip up Mary's Rock. There is a tremendous view from this vantage point. 

Mary's Rock

Cheese at Mary's Rock

 
Einstein 

In a short time we all make Thorntons Gap and our ride appears. Alison owns Open Arms Hostel, she is our driver.  Showers, another town dinner and a good sleep in a friendly environment, a good end to a fine.day. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.