Saturday, May 20, 2017

Thunderstorms

  • Day:  71
  • Start:  833.5
  • End:  853.1
  • Miles:  19.6
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  63
  • Thru hikers met:  0

 
View from Three Ridges

No rain last night.  The morning is still with a pleasant cool air.  I figure this mornings climb up Three Ridges Mountain should be about 3 hours.  Chimney Rock is an outcrop two thirds if the way up.  To have named it may be an overstatement. 

 
Chimney Rock

I find a bench rock to rest and cool down before my assalt on the summit. 

 
Nice bench for a rest. 

Up and over, it seems to have taken forever to reach the summit.  On the way down there is a rocky overlook, I decide to stop here for a view and a rest. 

 
Hanging Rock Overlook, a southern view

I suspect I may be tired because I hiked late yesterday. I am already looking forward to setting up my tent and sleeping and it's only 0930 hrs. I muster my strength and carry on.  I've got plenty of water to make the next source 5 miles away.  Today is Saturday and there are many people on this trail. Two groups of young boys and their leaders complete with packs for an overnight. The noise they.make gives me a deep appreciation for the solitude of the forest. Many more people appear some for overnight and some just day hiking .  I ask myself where will the all sleep because I didn't see enough camp sites.  
So I'm at the bottom of the mountain and crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway again.  

 
Reid's Gap

In short order I come to Three Ridges Overlook the view is ok, the good thing is a trash can where I can dispose of all my accumulated trash.  Crossing the Parkway again and I'm not getting close to my water source. I find it so peaceful to leave the roadway and step into the cool serene forest.  I rest at the water source figuring just 2 liters to get my over Humpback Mountain.  I come upon a very black shiny stick laying on the trail. As I study this stick my brain says snake, then I see it's head on the side of the trail under some foliage. I step over him without disturbing him and continue on my way.  Locals call this black snake a rat snake. It is non venomous. 

 
The rat snake. I did not feel like getting a closeup of its head. 

I take another rest at the Humpback Rocks as there is a splendid view looking to the west. 

 
Humpback Rocks 

While the sky looks fine is the picture at Humpback Rocks within an hour the sky is overcast and I'm walking in mist as is blows across the trail. I seek a lower elevation as this mist is causing the trees to drip water.  I descend to my water source and rest here a while. The mist is gone, I'm out if the clouds but I sense rain.  I hike on a little further finding a very nice campsite. All set now, relaxing inside my tent when the first drops of rain start. Thunder in the distance brings rain of more intensity.  The sound of the rain is pleasant and soothing, I'm settled in for the night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.