Sunday, May 28, 2017

ElkWallow Wayside

  • Day:  78
  • Start:  942.0
  • End:  958.1
  • Miles:  16.1
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  56
  • Thru hikers met:  8

 
View from South Mt. Marshall

This morning the mountains are in the clouds in some places. The expected monsoon did not occur so the forest is dry.  My planned hike in is 16 miles with a wayside thrown in for breakfast.  On the drive to the trailhead we spot a 1 to 2 year old bear lumbering across the road.  When ge hears the car he quickens his pace disappearing into the forest. Somehow this is not the same as seeing him on the trail. 

 
A moist not muddy tread

The trail crosses Skyland Drive many times this morning. One side trail goes to rattlesnake ridge. As I walk by the sign to rattlesnake ridge I realize I have zero interest in going to a place with that name. 

 
The fern section are very nice

 
It's like the whomping tree 

I arrive at the Wayside at 1030 hrs, still in time for breakfast.  Cheese and Einstein are already there placing their orders. 

 
ElkWallow Wayside 

 
Inside the wayside 

I breakfast on two fresh made egg bacon and English muffin sandwiches, followed with coffee and a banana.  With all this food I can hike the othe 8 miles without any problem.  The rest of the day I cross Skyland Drive a few more times, always keeping my eye out for Mr. Bear.  No more bear sighting today.  I consider the noise from the automobiles and motorcycles and think that perhaps this is too much noise for the bears to take so they move away from the road and trail. The last 1.2 mile of the day I see the rain come in fast. I can hear it coming hard so I stop to gear up, then the big fat rain is upon me. I rapidly close the distance on the trail. The tread is already running water and creating ponds in some places. At the highway, our pickup spot, so much rain is comping fown cars are pulling over. All three of us are under big trees hoping for some relief as we wait, but it seems little is provided. Finally our ride appears and relief is here.  Really another great day of hiking and an evening out of the storm. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.