Thursday, April 6, 2017

Another Storm Moves In

  • Day:  24
  • Start:  273.5
  • End:  273.5
  • Miles:  0
  • Hours:  0
  • High temp:  56
  • Low temp:  46
  • People met:  10

The bell rings, Elmer has summoned us to breakfast. We are ready and quickly lineup getting into the breakfast room. Fresh fruit, granola, pancakes with maple syrup and coffee. The food is decimated by hungry hikers, Pogo, one thin young man, seems to be able to eat his weight in food.  Outside this morning greets us all with the prodicted storm. Most of the hikers choose to zero at Elmer's.  A few brave souls decide to hike though the storm. I decide to move to the Hot Springs Spa as I had always hoped for good mineral bath in this town. So I leave the magic of Elmer's to enjoy the other side this little town and soak the pain out of my body. 

 
A shot just outside the library 

Interestingly AT&T does not service this town and Elmer did not provide internet.  So I have to find places in town with Wi-Fi.  The library has speedy internet and a pleasant atmosphere, plus a cushy chair.



So the storm makes its move, taken just outside the library.

The deluge begins, as I work on posting  and viewing pictures of family the sky opens up.  Thankful I'm not hiking the muddy trail this afternoon.  
I mail a few items home that I carried for the Smokies and picked up my resupply box. Back at Elmer's I sort my food into baggies for each day on the trail.  A few stops at the local store to round out my food, mayonnaise packets. I like the energy mayonnaise provides and the taste with some of my jerky.  

 
The mineral bath

 
I'm staying here. 
The spa is fine and I get a two hour soak.  I'm thinking this should help with a good nights sleep. The French Broad River runs just behind this place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.