Sunday, April 30, 2017

Dismal Falls

  • Day:  50
  • Start:  608.5
  • End:  623.8
  • Miles:  15.3
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  83
  • Low temp:  55
  • People met:  3

 
Dismal Falls

Not to far in is Dismal Falls on Dismal Creek, not sure why is called that but nothing about it seems dismal.  To get there is a short .3 mile hike from the AT.  I really wanted to see this spot as it seems like a favorite place for locals and hikers to swim.  This morning the trail starts off with a very relaxed tread that threads through many water sources. I lost count of the number of foot bridges I crossed.  

Foot bridge in the background 
 

 Lots of rhododendrons tunnels that finally broke away into a evergreen forest.  The scent in the forest was so pleasant and familiar. 

 
Evergreen forest with a wonderful scent

Before I start today's rather big climb I pass this pleasant little pond. 

 
Nice little man made pond. 

Now the climb, I leave the peaceful water environment and start on a steep slope.  Once I acquire the top the forest has changed to the bare tree look. 

 
Leaves on the ground indicate these trees were live last year. 

More rocks on this trail than I've seen in several days. I've got to slow my pace a little to negotiate these obstacles. 

 
Actually this is quite the step down. 

I come to what looks like I've got to slide down a big rock. I use my poles to ease myself down using the small rocks as a step.  This is the first rock scramble of what I expect further north I will see many more. 
I make it to Sugar Run Road, a gravel road that leads to among other things the Woods Hole Hostel. This is one of the most raved about hostels on the AT. So I gotta go see what the fuss is all about.  

 
The main house

 
One of the gardens

 
Front porch hiking discussion group

 
The morning view from the porch

 The couple that own this little farm provide organic food from their garden and their animals to feped themselves and guest hikers. They have a very updated functional hostel. The original buildings are actual log cabins. I'm in the bunk house in the loft. Below the loft is a common room with a big couch, table and snack/refreshment area. Both buildings have nice porches allowing guests to enjoy the day in shade.  Showers and laundry is provided with the price of the stay. I must say I'm very happy to arrive here as Maple and Brian (now Glove) are working for stay.  I had lost track of Glove since Haiawassie and Maple pulled off the trail to change gear and hike with her dad. So nice to see these fine young people and know they are still within my hiking sphere   There is dinner and just before we gather in a circle on the lawn for a moment of silence than we introducee ourselves and say what we are thankful for, a nice touch to bring people together. A very nice bunch of hikers assembled here making for a pleasant evening. 

He lives 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.