Thursday, April 13, 2017

Springtime

  • Day:  34
  • Start:  394.0
  • End:  404.2
  • Miles:  10.2
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  46
  • People met:  20

 
Breakfast

The cool night air creeps into the hostel loft and I pull the covers up tight to grab the last few hours of sleep before breakfast.  Every southbound hiker has been singing the praises of breakfast here, so it's almost mandatory to attend.  I can attest that it is the best breakfast on the trail so far.  The room was filled with about 15 hikers enjoying the wonderful offerings. I had some delicious eggbake, ripe tomatos, sausage, biscuits and gravy, followed by a raspberry tart and fresh coffee.  The owner and staff are such wonderful people, making everyone feel comfortable and at home. 
Today is a great day to hike, cool morning air and  semi-clear skys.  

 
My morning companion

Another milestone is accomplished today, I made the 400 mile mark. 

400 miles!

 
The view from 400 miles

The trail has gradually eased up today as the grades are not as brutal and rocky.  I'm at a lower elevation so the trail is covered with leaves Nd things are greening up.  The forest is very quiet this morning, I find I miss the sweet song birds and even the woodpecker's warning banging, but I do have the comforting soft creak of my pack. 

 
 This little lush spot is a spirit lifter

 
Stark difference just one hill makes

 
The top of the grade, nice reward 

 
This tree grew to accommodate the trail

 
Some of the trees still hold onto their leaves providing color to contrast the flowers

 
Yes the scenery is becoming more interesting adding to my delight

 
Ahh spring 

A short day today, but filled with beautiful scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.