Monday, April 17, 2017

To Damascus

  • Day:  37
  • Start:  448.3
  • End:  469.2
  • Miles:  20.9
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  54
  • People met:  3

 
An innovation I've never seen before

Twenty miles to town, some hot food and resupply.  My tent is packed and I'm off  at 0700 hrs.  The trail sort of descends to town, but there are little climbs as I follow the ridgeline.  As the trail drops in elevation the forest becomes greener and more insects appear.  

 
The smallest shelter I've seen, fits maybe two.

 
This is significant because the sign says the Tennessee Virginia state line. 

Found him on the trail, he just emerged so I moved him to a tree with a stick. 

The gentle morning freshlets moved into a bit of a stronger wind as the sky started to darken in preparation for an afternoon rain.  I'm about 5 miles from town so I'm hoping I beat the rain.  On other trails when it rains I just gearup and if course that's what I'd do now, but it seems like sanctuary is always  so close that I try to seek it instead. 

 
Trees are getting green 

I drop down the last bit to town.  The trail goes right through town on the main street.  The town has made an arch for the AT that has become a symbol. 

The Damascus welcome arch

I follow the trail from the welcome arch along a pretty park with blooming dogwood trees.   Over bridge that crosses a river running right through town and down the main street. 

Part of the sidewalk is dedicated to the AT

 
When the trail goes through the town it's a trail town.

I'm looking for the Hiker Inn a hostel/Inn right on the trail.  Found it!

 
Hiker Inn on Laurel 

 
Dining room with Paul in the kitchen

 
Entry

 
Living room 

Just some.shots of the inside. There has been some updating to this 1849 home. Really build well with hood materials. 
Time to get these boots off, shower and get some hot food. They provide scrubs while your laundry is being done.  I feel somewhat conspicuous going to a cafĂ© in scrubs, but I'm motivated thinking of hot food.  After a great California ruben at Mojo's, (its the avocado), I do some shopping at the local Food City.  Back at the Inn  I have one of three upstairs rooms in the main house.  There is a modernized shared bathroom and downstairs a common room for guests.  Lee and Paul my hosts are wonderful people, making me right at home immediately.  Ahhh, time to rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.