Saturday, April 22, 2017

Rural Retreat

  • Day:  41
  • Start:  518.5
  • End:  544.0
  • Miles:  25.5
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  45
  • People met:  0

This mornings flowers

A cold fog surrounded Troutdale last night when I woke and peered outside. This morning the fog had lifted but everything was soaked.  I made a pot of coffee to enjoy as I waited for my ride back to the trail.  I have three destinations in mind and will settle on one as the day progresses.  If I feel like I can make the next destination then I will move on, it depends upon the difficulty of the trail and my level of exhaustion.  
The trail is delightful this morning, birds are singing their happy morning songs as the sun begins to make its way out from behind the clouds.  

 
The sun makes the fresh green leaves sparkle

 
An open field is always a delight

The tread is relatively rock free this morning allowing for a more relaxed hike. I come to a spacious open field which is always appreciated because views are possible.  

 
Little umbrellas

More and more foliage is emerging and growing daily. I have been watching these umbrella looking plants for about a week or so, I wonder just how big they will get because they look like they have the potential to become huge. 

 
The Partnership Shelter

 
A two story shelter

I arrive at my first choice destination, the Partnership Sheltet, a beautifully built building. I'm tempted to stay because it's so nice and close to a shuttle to town. It's only 1300 hrs and I feel I can easily hike another 5 miles to my second choice. 

 
I watched buzzards work the thermals from here

A splendid view point right off the trail with a perfect bench rock for sitting manifests itself.  I rest a while enjoying the sunshine, view and buzzards sailing on the thermals. 
In 5 miles I make my second choice, the small Chatfield Shelter.  I rest a while a chat with a section hiker who is camping there.  It's 1630 hrs and I feel like I can easily make my last choice for resupply, the crossroads of Rural Retreat.  The trail is downhill and the tread smooths out too virtually zero rocks and roots, what a nice change.  Immediately I'm ushered into the green rhoddie tunnel, only this time I have a pretty stream close by providing water music and scenery. 

 
Rhoddie green tunnel

The last 2.5 miles changes dramatically from a forest to bucolic farmland. I'm overwhelmed with the scent of blooming trees and the intense green grass vistas.  I slow my pace to enjoy.

 

 

So soothing 

 
One kind of the blooming trees

 
Lushness 

 
Flower petals like stars in the sky

Enjoying this open feel

So I come to a railroad track and in the not too far distance I can here the vehicles on interstate 81.

 
 
I know I'm close to my destination and I'm ready to end my days hike.  I pop out of the growth with a view of I81 and to my left the Relax Inn my resupply point. I walk over securing a room and collecting my box.  So nice to remove my boots and slip on my flipflops.  It's about 1830 hrs so I'll do chores tommorw, now it's time to get hot food and relax.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.