Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Back on the trail

  • Day:  46
  • Start:  544.0
  • End:  554.1
  • Miles:  10.1
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  61
  • Low temp:  44
  • People met:  1

 
Murray and her delicious breakfast casserole 

With no sense of urgency we hikers rise to coffee and breakfast. Murray has created another wonderful breakfast which is quickly demolished by our appetites. 

 
At the Barn restaurant parking lot. From the left Blood Mountain, Murray, Neo, Craig. 

Everyone decided to have lunch before hiking. I could not fit anymore in after our big breakfast, so I left the group there. 
I'm back on the trail at 1100 hrs, a slow but positive start. The rain has stopped, the clouds have lifted and thinned allowing just a hint of sun. The trail is a bit of a slog in places for the first mile then I'm into the forest and the trail dries becoming mostly solid. 

 
Flowering trees grace the first part of this section

 
Beautiful farmland 

 

 
I really enjoy this section 

The lush greenery gives way the forest and the trail drys out.  I come upon the 1/4 way mark another milestone. 

 
1/4 of the waypoint 

 
The streams are swollen and running clear

One of my concerns is the creeks will all be running muddy a condition that would rapidly plug my water filter.  The good news is all the streams I crossed ran clear. 

More farmland as I come to Highway 610

I delightfully emerge from the forest into more lush farmland. There is a hostel on .8 mile down highway 610 .  I decide to go to the hostel to avoid the evening rain and simply give my feet a break. Because I started so late in the day 10 mikes is about it.  Highway 610 is a rural farm road with no traffic and no ride as I walk the .8 mile. I am greeted by a medium sized dog, Hazelnut, that is sounding the alarm of my arrival. She is doing her job and not trying to attack.  I'm not sure how to approach this house because it's all one big structure. 

 
1/4 Way Hostel

With the help of the owner, Tina a '04 AT thru hiker,  I enter the small boxy mud room to remove my boots and get the tour. I'm the only one here right now so I get a shower and make myself at home. The rest of the fellows arrive a couple of hours later. Upstairs is the owners side in the original house and the bunk room is the long newer section. The bunk room has 10 wide bunks with nice plastic covered mattresses.  We are to use our own sleeping bags and her pillow. Everything is nice and clean, a refreshing change from some places I've stayed.  I am told  Tina makes a wonderful breakfast so I'm looking forward to that as I fall asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.