Thursday, April 6, 2017

Little Laurel Shelter

  • Day:  25
  • Start:  273.5
  • End:  293.0
  • Miles:  19.5
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  58
  • People met:  4

 
Looking back to town as I leave

 
I have a nice bridge to cross this river 

The trail runs parallel to the French Broad River for a while. The power of the river straining at her banks makes for a loud walk. 

 


 
Yesterday's rain has swollen the river

Up I go as the trail takes me into the forest. I come upon Red Goat and his friend, we chat a bit then I pass after wishing them a great hike. 

Goodbye Hot Springs 

 Soon I'm deep in the forest enjoying the sweet sounds of the morning birds, the russeling of  the leaves as I walk and if course the gentle, encouraging creak of my pack.  Early today the forest scents awaken. At first I smell an earthy mixture of leaves, water and foliage, this is followed by the scent of phlox. I notice some flowers starting to bloom.  The roddies, however refuse to bloom. 

 
First one like this 

 
These are all singular and just starting 

I come into a small bald area that was used for tobbaco.  The land has been reclaimed and is now a turkey and grouse habitat.

 
Where are the turkeys then?

 
The trail shared this road through turkey town

A small pond with muddy water appears.  I consider staying awhile but decided to hike on. 

 
I watched as I rounded for water creatures, none 

The last ascent for the day is in front of me,  4.5 miles to the Little Laurel Shelter.  I think I'll stay there if there is room. This will give me almost a 20 mile day
I rest at a road crossing and chat with Sprinkles as he prepares for his assent. A trail angel has left a cooler with ice cold root beer and coke. I am tempted as the beverages are ice cold, the high fructose corn syrup scares me away and I end up drinking my water. The ascent goes nicely and I find a almost empty shelter. Just a couple here Galaxy and Gabe.. I arrive at 1600 hrs. So there plenty of time to take care of chores. Ahhhh, boots off and flip flops on. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.