Saturday, April 8, 2017

Snow and High Winds

  • Day:  28
  • Start:  310.0
  • End:  331.6
  • Miles:  21.6
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  44
  • Low temp:  35
  • People met:  11

The storm rages through the night, leaving 4" to 8" of snow on the mountains.  Morning brings snow around the hostel.  I plan a 21 mile section and am concerned about labor intensive hiking in snow. The first bit has just  small amount of snow as it's around 3000'.  

 
The trail is easy to find at lower elevations 

 
Looking back downhill

 
View from this little clear place

Then comes the fun 4 to 6 inches of snow with mud underneath! This creates a dandy slipping plane. As I get higher the wind now can reach me, it is bitter cold. The higher I get the more  I'm in the wind.  I'm ready for the onslaught with my gear, still it's a challenge and rather unpleasant.

 
The trail is obvious and blazed

A concern confronts me, is are there section that are not already blazed?  I continue and yes there is a section no one has walked on yet. I'm higher in the forest now and if there isn't a white blaze on a tree I must discern the trail. At timesidentifying the trail becomes a challenge and slows my pace. The white blazes are obscured by the build up of blowing snow. I work my way through without any backtracking. Then I come upon crosscountry ski and dog tracks.  I follow them until they turn off the trail. Now I'm ascending a bald and I must lean into the wind, my trekking poles are difficult to control. On the top there is no shelter, I'm afraid to get my hands out of my gloves to grab a picture because it will be difficult to warm them again. So I continue down this grade seeking shelter in the forest.. At last the brunt of the wind is dissipated by the trees. 

Wind blown ice on the post

 
Deeper snow here. 

One good thing about the high wind is it has stripped a lot of last night's snow from the trees, it won't dump.on you or drip if it warms. 

  
 
Came upon some hikers, trudging through deeper snow

 
The sun is starting to set. 

On top I'm between 4000' and 5000' here the snow is 6" to 8" with snow drifts up to my knees.  The going is hard as each step sinks into the snow. I'm following some other hikers now andi can step into their footsteps which helps a little. Footsteps never seem to match so it's not a perfect way to hike. Most of the day is spent in snow as I descend the mud is back creating the slipping plane again.  Finally I am below the snow line and just about out of the mud as well..  

 
View looking towards I-26

 
A spectacular water source 

My boots have become wet inside, not sloshing so I feel my Event shoes are intact.  I think it is snow getting inside from the top, even though I have my rain gear on.. The pants act as gaiters but in the drifts snow worked inside. Some beautiful scenery today and sit lf hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.