Thursday, April 20, 2017

Thomas Knob Shelter

  • Day:  39
  • Start:  469.3
  • End:  497.2
  • Miles:  27.9
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  8

 
The trail out of town

The soft patter of rain on the roof welcomes me to the morning.  I pack up, leaving to Mojo's for breakfast.  The rain is a small light rain that will drench me if I don't use rain gear.  I decide to use my umbrella which allows me to stray cooler but provides excellent protection.  

 
The forest is popping with these 

The rain continues until about 1000 hrs. I keep my pack cover on just in case, the sky is not clearing up. 
On the way is a nice water feature I'm tarn with so I thought id share it.


Another pretty creek along the way
 
I meet Pa John on the trail.  We have met before on the trail a couple of times.  So we talk some, he is retired, two months older than me and his wife is the same age a Carolyn.  I find him interesting and enjoyable.  We hike together loosely and arrive at a shelter that is 15 miles in. The time is about 1300 hrs and so far the day has not been challenging.  I'm headed to another shelter about 12 miles away.  Pa John says "that's a long day", but decides to hike on with me.  Little does he realize I'm not negotiating I stating what I'm going to do, come or don't it's up to you.

 
Beautiful green grass knoll

There are some farms the trail runs through so there is grass and fences.  Every fence has a thoughtful way to access the other side.  Sometimes is simply gates, often it's a close two sided fence with a 70 degree turn at the middle which farm animals cannot manage.  I haven't seen any farm animals yet, this is actually a pleasant thing because they mess up the trail and draw flies. 
The trail ascends into Grayson Highlands State Park the home of wild ponies. I hope to see some as they are an iconic part of the trail.  The ponies graze on the grasses leaving a nice manicured look to the fields.  


 
Climbing the open field grade the wind is strong so nice views but no ponies.  I stop for water  because a sign says "water 50' ".  I'm  pleasantly suprised as the water source is an amazingly strong spring running from a pipe.  

 

Most of the time I must patiently wait as my pre-filter bottle fills.  With this spring the bottle is practically ripped from my grasp and filled in seconds.  I enjoy a snack and drink plenty of water before returning to hiking. 
The trail goes back into the forest, providing wind protection. 

Some very strange trees in these forests  

 
Another ponie grazed landscape. 

Rain starts during the last several miles to the shelter. I quicken my pace to end the days hike and get out of the rain.   I see the shelter up ahead, it is new and two stories. The construction is a modern wooden framed building with milled log siding.  I find out there is one space upstairs and about four below. I like upstairs because it's really accessed by a ladder, chances are good animals will bot bother to climb the ladder.  I find RockHopper, Mandrake, Tootles and Maple in the loft. After such a long day it is refreshing to find such a nice shelter with nice trail companions.  The shelter is winding down as I arrive at 1900 hrs. I'm quick to get my sleeping system setup and get to bed.  This is a great shelter and I drift off to sleep listening to the gentle rain on the roof. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.