Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Mountain Harbour Hostel

  • Day:  33
  • Start:  384.6
  • End:  394.0
  • Miles:  9.4
  • Hours:  4
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  12

Heading out this morning 

 Just after dusk I hear an animal call, not a call from a big animal but more like a fox size. Later at night I hear an animal around my tent.  He bumps into my guy line so I know how close he is. He is very quiet in is foot steps. Then I hear him by my tent door taking in my scent, enough!  I yell at him then get my light and he is gone. Peaceful night after that.  Had a very soft rain in the wee hours which was pleasant to sleep by. 

Another 0700 hrs start under overcast skys.  I make my way up Little Hump Mountain and notice some deer grazing near the summit.

 
Little Hump Mountain 

Once at the summit it's obvious why it's called little as Hump Mountain is next on the list. So the trail takes a circuitous route in getting there. I can see why as there is some pretty country on the way. 

 

 
I wonder what it looks like with leaves?

 
The forest floor is greening 

 
Hump Mountain 

A cool breeze starts up as I climb almost testing me to put on a jacket.  I continue to climb creating a heat defense from the breeze. I'm thankful there is not a stiff cold wind like I've experienced so many days already.  

 
Looking west towards Erwin and Unicoi in.that valley

 
North

 
South

 
West 

 
Northeast 

 
The trail down

 
I'm above that cloud 

I start my trek down through open fields with these splendid views.  I've got 6 miles until the highway when I'll hike .3 mi to the Mountain Harbour Hostel for resupply and new boots. 
The trail down alternates between rocky and smooth. As I descend the air temperature becomes warmer and the forest scents bloom. I am always uplifted by the variety of different scents.  

A huge rock outcrop, sorry I was not able to frame the entire thing

 

 
And it becomes green 

In 4 short hours I've reached the highway, now just a little walk down the road to resupply. 
I'm amazed at this wonderful hostel.  There is a small food store, a lunch and dinner trailer, a hostel above a genuine old barn and a B&B.

 
Original barn with a store

 
Food trailer with B&B in the background 

 
Hostel common room with 4 bunks in the loft

 
The loft 

 
Bridge to the B&B

 
Their goat

So the usual chores ensue, wash clothes, wash me, get resupply organized and get hot food. I'm waiting on a REI order that got split. So I'm getting part today a part maybe tomorrow.  The goods news is the most important part of the order, my new boots arrived to day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.