Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Beauty Spot

  • Day:  31
  • Start:  342.6
  • End:  364.9
  • Miles:  22.3
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  74
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  5

 
Redbud on the trail from Erwin 

The rushing background sound of the Nolichucky River accompanys me as I start the trail out of town. I got off to a nice 0700 hrs start after enjoying a cup of coffee and settling up with Gary at Uncle Johnnys.  The refreshing water sound continues as  I branch off into a  canyon with a strong stream.

 
My company this morning 

 Spring is gently beginning at this lower elevation so I'm seeing little signs here and there.  I make the Curly Maple Gap Shelter finding it empty except for Candy-cane.  She tells me 8 hikers left not too.long ago.  The trail this morning is a climb but the grade allows for a continuous pace, I don't have to stop to rest.  By lunchtime I reach the bald called the Beauty Spot.  Tootells and Maple are there having lunch as well. 

 
Tootells and Maple

There is a nice view to the east and Ervin in the west. This is a great place to rest and eat lunch. There are birds that look like robin hybrids.  They are the same size and display the classic red/orange breast, but the spread of their tails displays white feathers.  The thin overcast is burning off requiring me to actually apply sunscreen and use sunglasses, amazing.  

 
Looking south as I came up to the Beauty Spot 

Another climb brings me into a dark conifer forest where the shade is welcome today.  I enjoy this deep, dark forest as it reminds me of others I've been in on the PCT. 

 

 I reach the top at 4850" and decide to take another food break before I descend. Maple and Tootells stop as well for a short respite.  On the way out of this forest there is a beautiful mossy section reminding me of the Smokies..

 
Like the Smokies but without the rain forest effect

The trail descends rapidly into the typical forest I've been hiking through.  I hear an occasional woodpecker banging away on a tree.  I stop to see if I can find him, but he is elusive.  
I coming to.the end of my biking day as I approach a road. I see a van with it's doors open and s fellow that greets me with how about a soda. Delighted I come over to meet Rob and he offers me s diet soda.  Well no high fructose corn syrup so I greatfully accept resting in the proffered chair. Rob has retired from running  a hostel in Massachusetts for 12 years. He keeps in contact with the AT community by.trail angeling.  Tootells comes shortly behind me and runs to the van when he sees me sitting there.  

 
Rob and Tootells 

 
Rob had a special AT decal made for his van

Just about 2 more miles and I find a camping spot. My feet are tired and the day is drawing to a close. 

My site for the night 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.