Saturday, April 15, 2017

Humidity

  • Day:  36
  • Start:  426.6
  • End:  448.3
  • Miles:  21.7
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  74
  • Low temp:  51
  • People met:  1

 
Lake Watauga

A quick walk downhill to Lake Watauga for a nice sunrise. All is quiet save a loud goose that seems to be protesting my presence.  

 
From the west side

The trail winds around the end of the lake then follows the west side until the dam. The section that is closed to bear activity has signs all over proclaiming."closed" the last line says that AT through hikers may walk through. What a relief as there isn't a designated detour.  I did notice where a bear had clawed a old log looking for grubs, but that was all I saw of any activity. I did not even notice any bear scat. 

 
More flowers today in bear country

The humidity is high today, I can break a sweat just walking on flat ground.  I can see the moisture in the air hanging like smoke.  
I arrive  at the dam and of course the trail goes right over the top.  This dam is earthen and much smaller than the last dam. 

 
View from the middle of the dam

Now I've got a bit of a climb, not the brutal beast I did yesterday, but I think it my be strenuous especially with the humidity.  

The redbud is still blooming here

I filter 2 liters of water 3 times today.  The most  water I've filtered since the start. I'm trying to make sure I'm hydrated as the beast yesterday may have depleted me some. I feel a little weaker today and I believe it's lack of water from yesterday.  
The trail is high over the lake and then a long green valley dotted with farm houses. The water valor is dense in this valley. I can catch glimpses through the trees off and on nothing picture worthy.

The best view if the valley 

Finally the climb is done  and now the trail goes up and down for small amounts.  

 
Actually had some flat sections today

The sky starts to darken with rain clouds. Some drips start to hit me .  I'm really close to a shelter so I stop there for protection from the rain.  I can hear the big fat drops hitting the tin roof if the shelter.  In a short while the rain has stopped and I hazard another try at the trail.  Happily I am rain free for the rest of the hiking day.  I'm resting just before the TN 91 road crossing when I check for a signal.  I get a text from BooBoo letting me know he has a very painful shin splint and he is getting a ride from TN 91 to Damascus.  Feel badly he is hurting. 
I was going to camp here but after my rest I think I'll hike another mile or two across some pastureland.  

The trail goes right through this fellows farm

Glad I walked a little further as I find a much better place to camp. Glad to get my boots off and relax.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.