Thursday, April 6, 2017

Laurel Hostel

  • Day:  26
  • Start:  293.0
  • End:  310.0
  • Miles:  17
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  5

 
Morning light

On the trail at first light.  I'm thinking about 14 miles to the a shelter because rain is forecasted. The day breaks with clear skys and a comfortable temperature.

 
Spot these every so often

Soon there is a sign pointing off trail to Blackstack Cliffs. Sounds interesting, so I take it. A short hike later and I have a sweeping view of Tennessee.  I take a break enjoying the view.

 
 Tennessee from Blackstack Cliffs

The sky is rapidly changing to overcast. Looks like afternoon rain is coming.  I make to Jerry's Cabin, the next shelter for a lunch break.

 
The shelters outside the Smokies are much smaller

This shelter is the 300 mile mark, so another mile mark drops away. Clouds are getting more intense by the hour. Time to move out for the next shelter. 

A lovely open bald. 


 
Like a henge 

Next milestone is Big Butt Mountain.  Yes that's what it's called, not making it up. I finally manage the summit of Big Butt and it seems like the top is simply a big round rock.  No more details necessary.

Top of BB Mountain 

 
A last shot of Tennessee  
 
Just a few miles from the next shelter I stop at a nice water source. As I get ready to leave I spot a small salamander wiggling through the leaves. 

 
 Salamander 

 
 The trail softens a bit

I still need to.watch for roots and rocks but the trail is nice right here.  Just .5 miles from the next shelter thunder reverberates throughout the mountains.. Just a little rain starts, no downpour..  I quicken my pace to avoid the big rain, arriving in the nick of time. Gormet and Buckeye are sitting in the protection of the shelter. I join them and enjoy a snack. I'm thinking of staying, but Gormet points out 3 miles down the trail is a hostel. He takes off for the hostel and I follow soon after. The weather is changing so perhaps I can get an update. In short order I arrive at the hostel, grab a bunk  and enjoy the hikers chatter.

 
These grace the intersection with a local road



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.