Friday, April 14, 2017

Laurel Fork Falls

  • Day:  35
  • Start:  404.2
  • End:  426.6
  • Miles:  22.4
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  78
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  8

 
These beauties are starting to bloom. Bigger than a silver dollar

The cool air is refreshing as I take my first steps of the day. To keep my temperature reasonable as I climb I roll up my sleeves and stow my hat. I start out in roddies and quickly emerge into what has become the normal AT forest. Subtle signs of Spring are occurring daily.  Today I noticed some daisy type flowers., lots of grasses and broadleaf plants as well as the first buds of flowering trees.  The trail emerges at a road with signs for a hostel in both directions. There are many cars parked here because this part of the AT follows a large stream to Laurel Falls. 
I enjoy the walk on a broad path along the stream. 

 
A canyon on the trail. 

 
Another canyon only rimmed with.trees

I'm up high above the river now and must take a steep rock staircase path back to the falls.    Once I'm just above the falls I can see it is a favorite swimming hole as many people are enjoying the water. 

 
Laurel Falls and swimming hole 

The trail now is close to the stream, but seems to disappear from my view.  All I can see is a rock outcrop and the stream. 

 
Trail ends?

Then I notice the faded white blaze on the rock outcrop. So the trail goes along the rock just above the stream.  I navigate the trail along the rocks which becomes more obvious as I walk it. 

 
The second of two bridges

 
View from.the bridge 

Once I cross the stream a couple of times the trail starts an ascension for 3 miles. So I'm out of the cool stream environment and onto a trail that is getting the afternoon sun. The afternoon temperature seems to be approaching the higher 70's.  I make the decision to climb.  I rest twice on this climb as it is brutal and I'm using my water rapidly. Finally I make the top where a spring is running. I was down to about a fifth of a liter, the lowest I've ever been with my 2 liter supply. 
Refreshed and full water supply I head down the mountain.  On the way down I get a view of  lLake Watauga.

 
Lake Watauga

The Watauga shelter at the base of the mountain is closed because of bear activity. So I see no reason to drop completely into the valley with bear activity.  I've put in a good day at 22 miles so I camp just above the valley floor in a site with Chef Boy R Dee.  Very glad the relax after that last mountain climb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.