Sunday, April 9, 2017

Uncle Johnnys

  • Day:  29
  • Start:  331.6
  • End:  342.7
  • Miles:  11.1
  • Hours:  4.5
  • High temp:  56
  • Low temp:  36
  • People met:  0

From Spivy gap I climb and the ascent is over fast. The trail today is average 3000' making it below the snow line. My concern is mud, to my delight no mud at all, mostly a soft trail covered in leaves. The water sources are abundant, but I don't find a need to stop as am traveling fast and burning little water today in the cool morning air. 

Beautiful forest trail

In what seems like a short time Ervin comes into view. I have two resupply boxes waiting for me at Uncle Johnnys Hostel.  

 
Ervin and the Nolichucky River

 
Eastery view of the Nolichucky River

 
Uncle Johnnys is just to the left of that bridge

I am surprised at the complete offerings Uncle Johnnys  provides. There is a outfitter section, small cabins, bunk room, camping, all with laundry, showers and flush toilets.  I get my boxes and they say they have room for me, so here I am.

 
Uncle Johnnys 

 
Cabins around back

It's spring at this elevation and the hikers are all enjoying the mild, snow free environment.  Johnny runs a free shuttle service to town three times a day for meals and resupply. I take the lunch ride in to get some food and pick up some clean water bottles and fruit.  
As evening falls hikers gather around a campfire just outside my cabin. Looking for a good nights sleep I use my ear plugs again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.