Wednesday, April 26, 2017

God's Thumbprint

  • Day:  47
  • Start:  554.1
  • End:  574.3
  • Miles:  20.2
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  81
  • Low temp:  56
  • People met:  9

 
Tina coming to take me to the trail. 

Sorry no pictures of Tina's great breakfast. It consists of everything homemade egg bake, sausage, bread, french toast with blackberries and Brie, and fresh fruit. Tthe condiments are homemade  honey from their hives, maple syrup and blackberry jam.  I ate enough to fuel me until 1130 hrs. 
The trail winds up through a open lush field. I try to walk carefully on the trail to avoid getting my shoes and pants wet from the grass.  Shortly I'm in the forest and I don't have to worry about the wet grass anymore. A white tail doe jumps across the trail fairly close to me. She freezes just off the trail but bounds away as I reach for my camera. 

 
This mornings forest

 
Holston  River bridge is just barely out of the water

Here is a picture two days ago from Tina at 1/4 Way Hostel

The good news is I'm able to cross Holston River bridge. Yesterday it was still under water. 

 

The sun appears

 
 This guy is crawling across the trail. Very attractive yellow coloring. 

The trail is easy this morning. I stop at a stream for a bite to eat before ascending the 4 mile climb. 

 
My lunch spot just across the foot bridge

The sun has come out and the temperature is climbing as I climb this grade. The steep tread requires that I rest occasionally. I am sweating so much I must wring out my headband so I will continue to work for me. I stop at a strong, clear stream to gather water. I have some Nuun brand electrolyte replenishment tablets. I put one in my water bottle. I can tell I've still got electrolytes in my system as my sweat burns my eyes.  I know I'm going to sweat a lot on this climb so I figure it's best to be proactive. 
A bright spot on the climb,  a black and white skink darts across the trail. Skinks run and slither like a snake, they are fast little creatures. 
I come to an open field about 2 miles from the top. The incline lessens for these last 2 miles. 

Open fields

 
 View to the east

 
Just before entering the forest this ancient tree stands guard. 

Now the trail becomes rocky for the last bit to the top. On top is an old ranger shelter turned into the Chestnut Knob hiker shelter.  It is surrounded by grass and has a great view of God's Thumprint Valley. 

 
God's Thumprint Valley 

Chestnut Knob Shelter 

 
The trail I came up to Chestnut Knob

After some water and food I strike out for another 6 miles to round out my day. The trail now skirts the valley following the ridge top. Splendid views are available through the trees of God's Thumprint. Once at my road crossing I have a signal so I give a call to the owner of St Luke's Hostel which is 8 miles down the road.  Mark says he'll be right up to collect me. St Luke's is in this splendid valley.  The grass here stays green for a long time and is famous for fattening cattle. This valley is the highest in Virginia.  Burkes Garden is the real name of this valley, but itt is sometimes referred to as "God's Thumbprint" because of its view from the air, this mountain-ringed bowl is 10 miles in diameter and filled with some of the most fertile farmland in the state.  
The hostel was built in 1904. It was built well and seems to have most of the original mill work. I've got a room upstairs with a nice four poster. Breakfast in the morning, I been treated to some wonderful food these last three days. I see how St Luke's compares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.