Thursday, April 20, 2017

Wild Ponies

  • Day:  40
  • Start:  497.2
  • End:  518.5
  • Miles:  21.3
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  39
  • People met:  6

 
The Grayson Highlands wild ponies

Once again the sound of rain on the roof greets me in the morning. I gaze out the small vent in the side of the shelter from my sleeping bag, the sky is obscured, it's foggy and its raining.  I pack up, put on full rain gear and say my goodbyes.  Thankfully the wind is not blowing hard as I make my way on this sodden trail.  I am concerned that the ponies have taken shelter where I may never see them. 

 
Ponies!

I stop at a particularity nice spot to get my breakfast. There they are, grazing as happy as they can be on a day like today. I'm happy now as my hope has become reality. I walk over to the "wild" poniez as they seem like a calm domesticated horse. I see two apples someone has left for them.  They do.t seem to scent the apples so I help them out, now I'm their friend. 
I take leave of my new friends and continue on this rocky muddy trail.  

Like walking into an obiss

I'm on tbe lookout for a feature called "the fatman squeeze", a .natural rock tunnel. 

 
Entry to the batman squeeze. Right between the rocks in the center not the cave spot on the right

 
The squeeze part

 
And just about through

Well the squeeze was a fun diversion, let's see what else is in this park.
Suddenly I hear a whinny from a horse and I see more ponies.  

I feel like she wanted me to feed her.

More just around the corner

I'd forgotten that today was the 500 mark until I came upon this.

500 miles! 

 
What it's like this morning 

Leaving the Highlands fully satisfied.  
I arrive at a shelter around 1200 h, stopping to gather water and eat a bit. Given the forcast of rain for the next several days I'm considering shelters.  This one is fiine but there is lots of hiking hours left in the day.  I look forward to seeing another shelter about 7 miles ahead then a church hostel 9 miles ahead, I'll hike on and see what works out. 
On the way I come to a parking lot with a hiker providing tail magic. It's Chuckles, I last saw him in Gatlinburg.  He is just doing sections now and is hoping to catch some of the hikers he had hiked with. He has a wonderful offering of chill cheese dogs, chips and Gatorade.  We happily share stories while I rest and enjoy his food.

 
Chuckle's trail magic station.

I come to the shelter, it's a tenth of a mile off the trail.  I feel like I can make another two miles to the highway for the hostel. 

 
A pretty waterfall on Comers Creek 

Ok so I'm at the highway and the hostel is in Troutdale 2.5 miles away. I'm tired and ready to call it a day.  I glance for a suitable camping spot as a backup plan. People in towns that are close to the AT are used to seeing hikers asking for a ride, so I give it a try. About 15 cars whize buy without any luck. I think to myself  "I need the pastor of the church to come by".  A couple of cars later a customized van stops, I tell the driver I'm trying to get to the church hostel in Troutdale, he say "hop in".  After thanking him for stopping, he tells me he is the pastor of the church.  So he takes me right up to the hostel and even arranges a ride for me in the morning.  

 
Pastor Ken and Rick the caretaker, plus the pup

 
Church hostel 

 
It's a hostel, nothing fancy

Turns out I'm the only one here so  I kind of spread out a bit. I.take a shower, eat my dinner and am so thankful for the blessings of today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.