Sunday, April 2, 2017

Sunny Day, but when?

  • Day:  22
  • Start:  240.3
  • End:  262.4
  • Miles:  22.1
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  63
  • Low temp:  43
  • People met:  6


On the bunkhouse porch I quietly sort and stow my gear in my pack as some hikers are sleeping in. A very fine rain greets me this morning and yet it was supposed to be sunny.  I grab a couple cups of coffee and I'm on my way into the clouds. Thid morning hike starts with about 5 mi. of uphill. The grade is nice so I can keep walking without stopping. I pass 3 thru hikers making their way up the grade.  

A VOR Sration 

Finally at the top.  A nice bald appears with a  noise of machinery to my left. There is a VOR Sration, these units are for airplane navigation.  

I'm wet and scruffy

I decided to not wear my rain jacket because the rain is less than the sweat. I did put a rain cover over my pack to keep my gear dry.  The first section is dripping big drops because of the accumulation of mist from the clouds.  Well at least it's cool weather to hike in. Seems like I could hike in weather like this at home though. 

 
 The bald by the VOR Station 

I come to Max Patch, this is a great bald with some pretty views.  The cloud cover has lifted but not cleared.

 
Max Patch

Then as I walk the length of the huge expanse of grass the sun graces me with its glory. 

 

 
This is a popular spot easily accessed by cars

 
The best view of the day 

Now the sun is burning off the clouds and a brilliant blue sky appears. The next section is a muddy one requiring close attention to the trail. I follow a stream for quite a while with lots of roddies, when will these plants bloom?  

 
Blue sky and the trail in the didtance 

 
A nice place to rest for a snack. Found a tick as I was leaving, darn they are out already

I'm getting close to 20 miles so I consider staying at the next shelter. After a climb the trail opens to another open bald where many hikers are setting up camp. I briefly consider this location, but too many people and the open grass will pull moisture soaking the tents.  I move on.  

 
The bald I decided not to stay at

A couple more miles some uphill to a nice leaf covered spot for the night. No one else here, nice. Tomorrow I have about .3 mi. to the summit the a good downhill to Hot Springs, TN. my next resupply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.