Friday, April 28, 2017

Ridge Walk

  • Day:  49
  • Start:  590.1
  • End:  608.5
  • Miles:  18.4
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  82
  • Low temp:  57
  • People met:  4

 
Every day more things are blooming

The outside is shrouded in a fog from last nights rain. I start my day with a .5 mile road walk followed by a climb.  Once on the ridge I can see the valleys on both sides are still foggy.  From my observation point the fog almost looks like big lakes.  As I walk I can hear the mournful sound of cattle calling from somewhere in the dense fog. The morning is cool making my climb more enjoyable. The birds always seem to great the day with happy songs. I notice as the day wears on the bird songs lessen and consist mostly of warnings about a human in the forest. 
The ups and downs today are reasonable and the trail has few rocks except for a couple of miles on the ridge. 

 
I notice this little guys running for his life. I will call him squishy. 

 
More and more dogwoods are blooming

Dogwoods appear occasionally in the forest with the sun highlighting the blossoms they almost sparkle like stars in a light free part of the woods.  I marvel each time I see these blossoms, always trying to capture the beauty with my camera. 

 
A pretty stand 

 
A nice ridge top section

 
The angle of the sun helps create an intense color

Spring sun helps highlight the unique colors of all the flowers and blossoms. Sometimes the colors are so intense I can taste an associated flavor. 
After desending for a while I emerge from the forest into some open grassland. The sun is bright and I can feel the heat on my body. I am already missing to cooler shade of the forest but torn because of the beauty of the grasslands. 


Open space always provides a spirit lift

As if my desire for a cool forest is answered I swing around the corner to the shady side of the mountain.  

Dogwood offering it's beauty up close 

 
A stand of yellow flowers providing another delightful moment 

I can hear a river and vehicles on a road. I know I'm coming to the end of today's section.  I notice the river which is actually named Kimberling Creek. In a little while I come to a suspension bridge over the Creek. 


The suspension bridge over Kimberling Creek

 
The bridge moves with each step 

This bridge is very narrow, not much room for two large people to pass comfortably. With each step I take, the bridge moves up and down plus side to side. I keep my strides and footfalls reasonable to help minimize the movement.  Once on the other side I am at the highway. The fun thing about ending here is .5 miles up the road is Trent's Grocery.  This store has burgers and such from a kitchen. 

 
Trent's Grocery 

Guess I don't have to say anymore. After my lunch and three large beverages, two Gatorades and one V8  I feel fairly full.  I must say I'm spoiled with the easy access to hostels.  Desiring a shower I give the Days Inn Hostel a call securing a ride and bunk for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.