Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Roan Mountain

  • Day:  32
  • Start:  364.9
  • End:  384.6
  • Miles:  19.7
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  46
  • People met:  6

My first view today, looking west

Off again to a nice start at 0700 hrs. The orange glow of sunrise greets me as I stow my tent. Forcast called for some scattered thunder showers last night. I woke about 0300 hrs, glancing outside I thought I saw snow. Apparently the bright moonlight reflected off the leaves giving me the impression of snow. I didn't figure this out until I woke up to hike, very happy about no snow.  The forest has many woodpeckers all pounding out the same message, "human in the forest".  I'm not able to spot them as they are bidding from me while warning their friends. 
The morning had two good climbs. The first offered a nice view of Tennessee farms. The second a five mile trek up Roan Mountain took until 1200 hrs and offered a view of the shelter.  

On the way up Roan Mtn I stopped here for a break

 
These little flowers are starting to.appear 
 
The last couple of miles before the top are in a dark forest. The shade and cooler air are welcomed on this climb. The forest is beautiful and as I get to the sunny side of the mountain the forest scent blossoms, a fruity wonderful scent. 

 
The view from Roan Mountain, elevation 6249'

The forest floor is starting to turn green in many places.  I noticed more green than brown leaves at one point. 
So now the trail descends for a good long time.  There are small patches of snow here and there helping to create a refrigerator effect on the surrounding air. I've got to put my bat on and drop my sleeves to maintain warmth as I descend. 
I emerge to a highway at Carvers Gap. To my delight there is trail magic happening. I drop my pack and approach to see Gourmet standing there. Then I notice a sign sayiny, "Happy Birthday Gourmet" .  Gourmet's mom is hosting a splendid trail magic in honor of her  son:s 25th birthday.. I am handed a plate of birthday cake and ice crean, plus water. Gourmet gets his name because he eats wonderful dehydated foods his mom has prepared. We have a splendid enjoyable time talking tail and honoring Gourmet. I get to sample some of Gourmet's mom's homemade granola, fresh and delicious. 

 
Gourmet's mom and Aunt with Gourmet

 
Carvers Gap

For a few weeks now I've been walking on the North Carolina/Tennessee border. Often times I'll see signs on one side if the trail relating to that state's wilderness.  Sometimes I'll notice survey monuments right in the trail.  As you can see in the picture above North Carolina is very close. 
Off to the trail after a filling and enjoyable time. 

 
A wonderful view Round and Jane's bald to the right

There a couple of balds right after Carvers Gap.  The openness is the best I've seen so far.  I relax several times to enjoy the view while climbing this grade. 
As the hiking day ends for me I cross a splendid section with greenery and flowers. 

 
Just about the end of the trail today 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.